Being The Youngest In The Family

Being The Youngest In The Family

Be confident, and stay young my friends.

13
Being The Youngest In The Family

As a kid, I have always looked up to my older relatives. With that being said, looking up to people in your family can have its pros and cons when you are the youngest.

Starting off with a pro, being the youngest means that you are not the first person to experience certain life events. Usually, when you ask your older relatives for advice, it is likely that they have some experience in that particular life event or transition. For example, I cannot imagine my college experience without my older relatives' guidance throughout my first semester at college.

Having some form of guidance in your life is great; however, if you're anything like me, you sometimes become easily influenced by other people's opinions rather than trusting your own. My older brother (a know it all at times,) would speak openly about a multitude of things and would be extremely confident in his opinions. Being the young and nieve kid that I was, I assumed that the things that my brother said were always correct. When talking to people about certain topics, I would sometimes catch myself stating my brother's opinions instead of formulating my own. This is something that I am still working to fix about myself; although, when you are the youngest, you assume that your elders are the most intelligent, and trustworthy people in your life. Therefore, you assume they are always right.

Another con is being left out. When you are the youngest in your family, you know the feeling of being excluded in certain situations. I can remember being held back from R rated movies, amusement rides, or now that I am 20 not being able to go to bars with my older cousins. You're either too short, not strong enough, or not experienced enough to do what your elders can do.

To end on a positive note, a pro of being the youngest is exactly that. You're the youngest! Embrace the fact that everyone will become old and washed up before you do. While your older family members are looking forward to bingo night at their local senior center, make sure they know that you are still killing shit in the real world. Show these geriatrics you can do things on your own. Be confident, and stay young my friends.