Being 'The Pretty One' Isn't Always A Good Thing

I don't put makeup on each day for anyone other than myself.

670
wereblog

In the world we live in, we can't help but compare ourselves to others. Especially girls. There is always going to be someone out there that we feel is prettier than ourselves, and we envy that. I'm here to tell you that being "the pretty one" isn't always a good thing.

I'm not at all trying to sound conceited, but I definitely feel as though I'm in my prime as far as appearances go. I used to look at other girls and truly envy everything they had going for them: pretty hair, straight teeth, makeup skills, flawless skin, the list goes on. Those were the girls that all the boys wanted, the ones that all the boys showed attention to, and I was jealous of that attention... but not anymore.

Ever since I discovered the gift of makeup, I have restlessly practiced to master the art of makeup application. Nothing bothers me worse than hearing someone say "You're so beautiful. You could have any guy that you wanted!" That couldn't be anymore untrue. You see, because I'm considered "the pretty one," that's all guys see. They don't see my personality. They don't see my accomplishments and talents. They see my face, and they see my body, and that's all they care about. What seems like me being able to have whatever guy I want is, in reality, just a bunch of boys that only want me for one thing. They're not looking to settle down. They're not looking to ask me on a proper date. They're not looking to get to know me for who I am. What's going to happen when my attractive appearance fades away? The guys that are begging to bust my door down will disappear too.

Being "the pretty one" has a lot of downfalls. It's lonely at times. You feel as though your options are limitless, but then you realize how pathetic the pool really is. And because of this, all the people you want don't want you, and all the good guys are too intimidated to talk to you.

Is it too much to ask for a guy that will value who I am as a person before my appearance? Where are all the guys that won't make comments about my body, ask me to send them inappropriate pictures, and even catcall me?

I don't put makeup on each day for anyone other than myself. I put makeup on to boost my confidence and, believe it or not, my mood as well. It feels like a win-lose situation. Winning because I feel confident and I'm in a joyful mood, losing because I'm being harassed by guys that don't deserve me.

So, to all you girls out there that are jealous of other girls you consider are "prettier" than you, to all the girls out there that wish they had all the guys' attention, and to all the girls out there that aren't happy with the way they look: love yourself for who you are. You don't have to be beautiful to be wanted by someone. You were made to be beautiful, and because you get to be you, that's the best thing you could ever be. Stay humble and patient, and God will send the right man. Lucky for you, you don't have to search through a whole crowd of guys. He'll be right there, smiling at your beautiful face. You go, girl!