How many siblings do you have? One? Two? SEVEN?!
For me, I don't have any.
I know what you're thinking, "that must be amazing" or "that must be lonely". Just for the record, it's neither. There's usually things that people assume and stereotypes that are built up after a while. So here are some things that you should know about being an only child.
1. Growing up an only child doesn't mean you get everything you want.
There is no rule that an only child is entitled to get everything. The one time we 'have it all', is when we get blamed for something and can't pin it on a sibling.
2. Only children aren't always lonely and sometimes we prefer to be alone
Growing up we've learn how to entertain ourselves and appreciate our own space.
3. Also it's not as boring as people think
We've also learned how to use our imagination
4. We get to choose our 'siblings' aka our friends
Often we have a very close group of friends who make up for our lack of siblings. Our friends become like family and it's beautiful.
5. Knowing we won't be an aunt or an uncle is sometimes heartbreaking
I mean yeah, we could marry someone with siblings or even be a godparent, but it's not the same.
6. We value our cousins way more than you would imagine
Spending time with them is like spending time with siblings. They might even act like a protective older brother or annoying little sister.
7. Not all of us are selfish
Contrary to popular belief, not all only children don't know how to share. Some of us WISH we had a sibling to share with and even if not, we've learned how to share from somewhere else.
8. Sometimes we envy bigger families
When your immediate family is just made up of you and your parents, you like to imagine what a Christmas would be like if you had siblings.
9. Most of us are lucky enough to be extremely close to our parents
This also means we get all of the parents' attention, which is also a positive.
10. Being an only child, you learn to be independent
Being independent is great but not having a sibling to lean on can be hard at times. It's nice to have someone you rely on living with you.
11. There's a lot of pressure
Being an only child means that we are the only one who can keep the family going and to accomplish everything.
12. People with siblings claim we are lucky but in reality sometimes we aren't but we wouldn't change it at all
Honestly, it isn't bad being an only child. It's pretty awesome. It has its drawbacks, but it's very rewarding as well. I've never had to wear "hand-me-downs" from older siblings, and I was quite happy with that.
Yes, sometimes I wish I had a sibling but at the same time I don't. I wouldn't change how I grew up at all because my parents tried their best to raise me the right way, and I want to say they did an amazing job.