Being A Stage Manager, As Told By The Office

You always have extra pencils for actors who inevitably forget them.

380
pxhere

You know you're a stage manager if...

You always carry duct tape and superglue with you.

You have a million pens and pencils on you at all times.

By the end of the show you can recite the entire script forwards and backwards.

You’ve also have never really watched the entire show because you’re constantly staring at your script being on book. When you do finally look up it's only for a brief moment before you turn back to your script.

You probably have a planner where you write down absolutely EVERYTHING.

Organizing things makes you happy.

But when it comes to your own life, everything is a complete mess.

You shamelessly promote your show to everyone you meet.

You could perform any role at a moment’s notice because you know the show so well.

You know how to work both the sound and lights boards.

You know where absolutely everything is at all times.

You have dreams about the show every.single.night. Even dream you knows every little second of the show like the back of your hand.

If you haven’t had at least 10 mental breakdowns by tech week, you’re doing something wrong.

You’ve memorized the schedule of everyone in the show, cast and crew alike, for when the director asks why someone isn’t at rehearsal.

But it also stings to give it to them knowing you’ll probably never get it back.

Plus you know they’ll be asking for one again tomorrow.

You constantly get mad at actors for talking back stage and not knowing how to whisper.

Due to this you have mastered the art of whisper screaming during the show with nobody in the audience hears you.