Being Sick In College Vs. High School

Being Sick In College Vs. High School

Stay home, being sick in college is the worst.

15
Being Sick In College Vs. High School

Being sick in college is one of the worst things. Unlike high school, your parents aren't there to baby you and make sure you have everything you want and need. Learning how to deal with being sick as an adult is a big adjustment that we all learn in college. Here are some ways being sick in college is different than being sick in high school.

1. The doctors

High school: Going to the doctor in high school was the best. You got to skip school, get a doctor's note and watch all those trashy daytime TV shows. You didn't have to worry about going alone because obviously, your mom would drive you.

College: You have to go to urgent care around the corner before or after classes. Sometimes your friend comes with you so you're not alone, but you definitely have to do some convincing.

2. Resting

High school: Your parents let you stay in their room because they have the bigger bed and TV in their room. Anytime you needed anything you just had to call down the hallway for some soda or crackers. You had your pet by your side to cuddle up to and you'd get to nap all day.

College: Resting cause you're sick? Good joke. You're lucky if you get to take a 30-minute nap before you have to wake up and start that reading you have to do.

3. Getting medicine

High school: Everything was at your fingertips. Did you need Advil? Right next to the night stand. DayQuil? In the medicine cabinet. Any kind of medicine you needed, your parents made sure the house was fully stocked.

College: Maybe if I save up my CVS coupons I can get the knock-off DayQuil, but for now I'll just suck it up.

4. Taking the day off

High school: You didn't have to worry about missing that mug material. You had a doctor's note and you were set. You could text your friends or post on Facebook if anyone in Smith's 8th period English class could pm you the notes and homework. If no one answered all you had to tell your teachers is you were sick and they'll let you make it up.

College: Taking a day off in college is like missing two weeks of high school. You come back, you're completely lost and you're not even sure if the same kids were in your class two days ago. You probably don't know anyone in the class so you couldn't get the homework or notes, and the professor just tells you they don't accept late homework.

5. Social events

High school: If you're sick over the weekend it's not that big of a deal. Maybe you missed someone puking in the sink at a house party but that's about it.

College: When you're sick and can't go out during college you miss the best party ever. Your friends went to the bar and ran into Dave Franco and hung out with Nev from "Catfish." No big deal, there will probably be nights just like that again.