Being Sick Can Be The Best Thing For Your Overall Well-Being

It can be a moment of reflection of how beautiful life truly is and to always remember to be thankful for another day of life.

121
Flickr

With the flu season being the worst it's ever been in a while, almost everyone I know was doing everything they could to not get sick, and if they got sick, they did everything they could to stay away from others in fear of spreading germs. I, for one, found myself in the sick category unfortunately, but to my surprise I learned a lot during those five days locked away in my apartment.

If you identify yourself as a 'busy body', being sick is arguably a form of torture; knowing it's probably best to stay indoors, drink water, and take vitamins, but wanting to do everything you know you could be doing such as class, working out, meetings, etc. is grueling. However, being sick can be used as a learning opportunity and a chance to count your blessings.

Over the course of the five days that I was down for the count, I could barely bring myself to read a book or watch TV, therefore I naturally filled my time with thinking, reflecting, and more thinking. It gave me a chance to think about how I am taking care of my body, and what I need to do on a daily basis in order to keep me from being sick in the future.

Along with that, I had the chance to reflect on myself and the relationships I have in my life. Being sick surely is the worst because interaction with your friends and other people in general is noticeably limited. So during this time I received many texts from friends who didn't see me in class, or knew I was sick and asked to bring me tea or soup. It truly is the little things that make you feel loved and thought about during a time where you physically and mentally feel like your worst self.

Lastly, being glued to my bed forced me to just lay down, and rest. Rest without feeling guilty for well overdue rest. It taught me that being lazy and resting and reading a book or watching endless Youtube videos or painting, truly reminded me to enjoy life's smallest gifts. It showed me that it's okay to be lazy, it's okay to put work on the back burner for a bit in order to get your mental right and make you feel warm and fuzzy again.

Being sick truly sucks, but in my moments of solitude, I truly learn the most about myself. I am mindful of the life I live, and how blessed I truly am. It can be our friendly reminder to be kind to ourselves more often and give thanks; it is more than possible to live a life where hard work and leisure can balance and coexist peacefully, especially in our most trying times physically, mentally, and emotionally.