3 Ways To Stay Positive In Light Of Negative News
Politics

These are the things I do to stay sane.

256
Matthew Hamilton

You cannot avoid it! The news is everywhere. I mean for about a year, I refused to watch the news. Why? BECAUSE it has become so divisive. It has become depressive. Perhaps it has always been that way and I somehow missed it? Or perhaps it's become more so in the recent years. Either way, I made a conscious effort to avoid it like the plague. But what I didn't anticipate was the news feeds on social media feeds, gentle calling me back in like sirens on rocks at the seashore. And like an unsuspecting sailor, I would steer right towards danger and crash on someone's feed.

But what has become overwhelmingly evident is that the country is divided. CNN has become way more left, Fox is more far right than ever. And the middle ground has become a figment of everyone's imagination. From time to time as I scroll past my dear friends' timelines I see rants and tirades of political view leaning one way or another and at times, my blood boils too, for but a moment. So in this particularly hot political climate how can one stay positive in light of all the negative news?

Here are three things that I do to stay grounded and centered:

1. Looks for the humanity in all things

I sort of feel like America has buyers remorse or election remorse and the #metoo movement was birthed from that remorse. A backlash of sorts, because our President has been accused of sexual improprieties and we can't unelect him. Therefore, any man that resembles him rightly or wrongly will pay the price, so no one like him will ever be so blatantly elected again. Now I am not saying that those that have been accused have been accused unjustly but I will say that if I watched the news alone, I would be wary of all men.

That's when I remind myself to look for the humanity in all things. What does that mean? Right now, women are standing in solidarity. Right now, women are getting their chance to voice their opinion and reset the standards, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. People who have been hurt by things that were done to them in the past are having a cathartic release and opportunity to heal and these are only good things.

2. Look for opposing viewpoints or the good amidst the bad

In the example I gave above, while there are many examples of men who have and will abuse the power which has been given to them, where women may have followed what was at the time a societal norm to further their careers. This wasn't right, but was usual and expected and in some instances what they thought they needed to do. However, there are so many examples of good men out there and once again the middle ground does and should exist. So I look for those examples, of men in my life. Men who would stand up for what is right and would never dear abuse the fragility of any woman.

3. If all else fails, unplug

If all else fails I unplug from social media, from TV from any news that could potentially change my mood. Now, I am not saying stay ignorant. However when in a polarized environment, if you are unable to maintain balance, sometimes it best to unplug. Focus on things that are important to you and things that make you happy. The news will always be there. You can always come back to it. I unplug and record parodies, make fun of myself and it brings me so much joy. Check out my latest parody here #bodakyellowchallenge.

I have learned in the past year that nothing last forever, this too shall past. A more united America will emerge in the end, and when all is said and done we will realize that there are more things in common and that unites us.