Why Being Overwhelmed Is A Good Thing

Why Being Overwhelmed Is A Good Thing

301
Why Being Overwhelmed Is A Good Thing
rack.2.mshcdn.com/medi

Ok. I know you probably clicked on this link because you are thinking "I am very overwhelmed and how can that possibly be a good thing?" I can tell you that I know exactly how you are feeling. I have had the four tests and two papers due in one week. I have seen all of the injustice in the world, all of the people that need care, and the seemingly impossible amount of help our planet needs. I have had so many things happen to me that life seemed unlivable. Sometimes it was hard to remember to breathe because all of my energy was going into thinking about whatever was overwhelming me.

In fact, as I write this article, unspeakable things are happening all over the world. People are being mistreated in Mizzou and killed in Paris, Syria, and countless other places. There are people recovering from natural disasters in Japan. And this is just what is happening right now. At times, it can seem as if nothing you can do could possibly make a difference or have an impact in the world. But, I have a revelation for you. A short time ago, while I was thinking about how much hurt there is in the world and wondering how I could possibly make any difference, I came to a startling conclusion. Here it is:

I cannot actually make a difference in this world.

Wait, WHAT? I thought this article was supposed to be inspiring! Why the heck would you write something so upsetting?

Well, don't worry, there is a second part to my realization. I realized that I cannot actually make a difference in the world all by myself, and that is OK. I cannot make a difference in this world all by myself because I was not created that way. God designed us to need to rely on Him. We are not supposed to do everything on our own, nor does God want us to even try. As I sat in my room earlier this week feeling overwhelmed about everything that needed change in my life and the lives of others, I heard God quietly telling me,

"You are not alone. I have created you for a specific purpose, but I am going to help you and guide you along the way. I have not abandoned you and I am never going to abandon you."

As soon as I felt God saying this to me (I've always thought God's Voice was more of a feeling than an actual voice), I felt a huge weight lift off of my shoulders. Yes, our world is not perfect and yes, God calls us to try to mend our broken world, but we are not going to be alone as we try to accomplish this. He will be with us every step of the way. And He has also placed so many people in our lives whom we can reach out to for love and support, should He ever feel too far away from us.

So, even though being overwhelmed is not a good thing, I think that it is sometimes a good feeling to have because it reminds us that we are not made to live this life by ourselves. Being overwhelmed reminded me that we are not supposed to do it all alone.