Being The Middle Child With Two Sisters Was A Struggle, But I'm Better For It Now

Anyone who has siblings would understand the weird stages you go through with them.

178
Amy Mcpherson

Growing up is hard but when you have siblings to go through life with, it seems like it’s going to be okay. I have two sisters and I’m in the middle. Being in the middle of two sisters is a challenge sometimes, but I wouldn’t change growing up with them for anything. They made life interesting, from arguing, to good memories, to interesting hangouts, and always having a friend. The good thing about us is the age difference, between my older sister and I we are four years apart and my younger sister and I are three years apart.

Being close in age with them definitely helped us hanging out. With being closer in age with my younger sister helped us gain the relationship we have today, we shared a room with each other for the longest time. Yes, it was annoying but sharing a room with anyone would be annoying. Trying to figure out space for both of our toys, books, clothes, and shoes was a struggle but it did work out. We did eventually get our own rooms, but it didn't happen until our older sister moved out and took a lot of convincing our mom for awhile.

When Adrienne moved out, Carlie and I made a promise, more like a pact for us to try and not to fight as much anymore. It did help us get closer, but we did have our share of fights like any siblings do. However, sharing a room wasn’t always fun, she would steal my clothes, she would hide my things when I wasn’t around, and we would argue if we didn’t agree with how we wanted to set up the room or who was going to have the top or bottom bunk.

Growing up with siblings where all three of us have different dads made weekends fun. Every weekend was my time to have the house to myself and I got to hang out with my mom. Adrienne and Carlie would go to their dads' houses as I stayed home, a lot of the time I didn’t know what to do but I did get to spend time with myself and not worry about arguing with anyone about something stupid. My mom and I would go out to dinner just the two of us when they would go to their dads' houses.

I always felt like I was the last one to know anything about an event we were doing with the family or when someone was coming over. I feel like I am in constant competition with both of them, but mostly with Carlie. I was never great at school. I did my best and I would see her grades and saw that she got straight A’s and I would feel bad about myself because I would make B’s or C’s. When I played sports, I felt like Carlie and I were in some competition which wasn’t much since she was way better than I will ever be.

My mom has always told us that we will always need our siblings whenever we fought, and she wasn’t wrong. After Adrienne left, Carlie and I started to gain our strong relationship we have now. We are close now and I am happy to say that she is my friend, not just my sister. Having siblings is great because you always have a friend and you always have someone to talk to and ask for advice. Carlie is protective of me when it comes to anyone hurting me and she always has my back and I’m happy that I do have her.

Anyone who has siblings would understand the weird stages you go through with them. Some days you have good days and some bad, but you know you wouldn’t trade them for anything. What is your favorite thing about them? Are you the oldest, middle or the youngest?