When You're A Girl That's 'One Of The Guys.'

I was the girl who wasn’t afraid to pick up basketball or football and dive into a quick game with the guys.

379
Wallpaper Zone

I was one of those girls growing up that always had plenty of friends, particularly guy friends. Being called “one of the guys” wasn’t offensive to me. I was the girl who wasn’t afraid to pick up basketball or football and dive into a quick game with the guys. I wasn’t afraid to jump on the 4 wheeler and see who could get the muddiest. Climbing trees? Yep, I’m in. Fishing and hunting? I was in. Drinking beer? Yep. Hanging out with the guys was a huge part of my growing up. Did I sometimes wish some of those guys would notice I was a girl? Not really. I was having too much fun with the guys and therefore learned many lessons by being “one of the guys” while growing up.

1. If you are a girl who can throw a ball well, you will always get picked in PE.

Our teacher always had boys as captains for all games. Their first choice for the team had to be a girl, then boy, etc.(I really hope this isn’t still a practice PE teachers use) When the captains were chosen and our class knew who was choosing a girl first, I started walking without my name being called. Those boys wanted me on their team. I could throw better than most of them.

2. The boys that are your friends don’t care about you or your clothes.

Yes they care, but not in a way that matters. I'm a girl. They didn’t care that I had a vagina. They just wanted to hang out and shoot hoops or guns and not talk anatomy. Likewise, I learned never to mention my period around my guy friends. As for clothes, I remember in High School asking one of my buddies to bring me a new shirt after lunch. He returned with a KISS T shirt. Knowing that he didn't go to his sister's closet and get something frilly meant we were truly friends.

3. They love that you love sports.

My guy friends love that I knew sports, rosters, and what was going on during events. They weren't afraid to let me hang with them at games because I was going to be right there, cheering as loudly as they were. In class on Monday, I was always right in the middle of the weekend game discussions.

4. These guys will break your heart.

You’ll fall in secret love with them.You won’t even know it, but when you see them falling for another girl, you will hurt a little on the inside. You will be fearful of telling them and ruining your friendship, so you will stay quiet. Years later, you will be glad you never told them of your feelings. You’ll realize you were meant to be friends and grateful for their lifelong friendship.

5. Someone has to help them pick a girlfriend.

Your guy buddies have laughed and shared so many stories with you that you have the perfect girl in mind for them. When they introduce you to their new girl and you wrinkle your nose, they will notice. When they ask you what’s up, you will tell them. They’ll ignore you. A few weeks or months later, they’ll tell you they should have listened to you. Every. Single Time. When they pick the right girl, you’ll also let them know. You’ll remind them that not all girls are like you and some do indeed, need to be treated as a lady and not one of the guys.

6. Boys are confidantes and loyal.

They aren’t going to share your stories with anyone else. Hell, half the time they probably weren’t even listening. Even if they were though, they don’t share. They keep your secrets. They are there for you throughout the years. Slowly my guy friends and I have started losing our parents. While there are others who are right there, I know these guys and their tears are genuine. We knew each other's families and a part of our heart breaks with each other.

7. Guy friends give the best hugs.

They are there with open arms and aren’t afraid to squeeze you so hard that you start laughing. Their hugs can make you forget any and all problems. Even today, years later, this still holds true.

8. Guys don’t like drama.

Someone talks about them? Oh well. They drop them and don’t talk to them anymore. They don’t care what was said, but know that the friendship is over. They'll tell you to do the same, but will still listen when you share the same dramatic story. Over and over....

9. You can cuss in front of your guy friends and they won’t be offended.

Ever. Even today as an adult, I find myself watching what I say in front of certain female friends. The guys? Hell no. The F bomb can roll off my tongue and the guys won’t ever be offended. It's still a quality I love in my guy friends.

10. Guy friends will stick up for you.

The girl talking smack about your outfit? They’ll laugh and tell her to shut the F up. Your boyfriend breaks your heart? They’ll tell you he didn’t deserve you anyway .Ex boyfriend talks shit about you? They’ll threaten to kick his ass, or will just do it.

I still have many of my guy friends who go all the way back to my elementary days. We chased each other on the playground, threw rocks at each other, rode green machines together, occasionally fought, held hands together, even complained about our own love lives together. We were friends then, and are still friends today. These guys mean the world to me. I don’t see them often, but know that when I do I’m going to jump into their arms and get the biggest bear hug imaginable. I know they are going to tell my husband stories that I wish they wouldn’t. I also know that by the end of the night they are going to tell my husband that he’s lucky to have me, all the while with a beer in one hand and their other arm around me. Likewise, I will be telling their wives the same about them.

I have a daughter of my own now. While I want her to be as lucky as I am and have some pretty fabulous women in her life to call her girlfriends, I will also encourage her to find guys that she can be friends with. I will encourage her to talk to guys and know that guys and girls can be friends. I tell her stories about the guys I grew up with and how incredible they were back then to me, and still are today. I can only hope she is fortunate enough to be considered “one of the guys” at some point in her life like I was.