Being An Introvert In An Extroverted World

What if the kid sitting by herself actually wants to be alone?

140
Google

Before I get into the topic of this article, I should start off by clarifying what the difference is between an extrovert and an introvert. A lot of people associate introverts as being shy, but that is not always the case. Some introverts can be outgoing and not be shy at all! Then there are some introverts who are also shy. That’s me. Introverts need to process things internally, while extroverts need to process things externally. There’s no reason why people should say, “extroverts are better than introverts,” or vice versa. Yet for me there has always been pressure put on me by society to turn into an extrovert overnight.

In elementary school, I hated recess. I would never want to play with the other kids on the monkey bars, or stand and talk with other girls the whole time. What I wanted to do was sit and write or draw. I wrote realistic fiction stories back then. I went over to the tables, sat down, and wrote. I was finally alone. Since I’m visually impaired, I had an assistant to help me with work. She, and a few other teachers, always came over and told me to, “go play with the other kids! You should not be alone over here!” They took away my writing notebook or sketch pad. But I loved being alone. At that time, I didn’t advocate for myself. I went over and felt forced to play with the other kids. Recess was the hardest part of elementary school.

The hard part for me about being an introvert is that I want friends, but I also want to be alone. I am a shy person. I have become more confident through theatre and singing, but I still need to work on my shyness. It is hard for me to talk to people, but now I do have close friends that I can easily chat with. I am so grateful for that.

In college, there are always events to go to. I love this about Dean! I attend all of the events because I enjoy being busy, but sometimes, I do not want to go. I want to stay in my room and watch Netflix. I have this constant battle in my head: “You should go,” one voice in my mind suggests. “Nah don’t go. Watch Bobs Burgers and eat food,” the other voice persuades me. I usually go, but that’s just deciding whether I want to attend the event. Imagine having to decide and already being tired from that, but then also having to go to the event and socialize with other students. Huh? Socialize? What is this?

Once I get to the event, I feel as if I have to be a different person. Smile all the time! Speak everything that’s on your mind! Say hi to everyone you see! That’s not who I am, but I feel that I have to be this always positive, extroverted person in social settings. People often say to me, “You’re so positive!” I say thank you but in my head I’m thinking, “I’m really not. At least not all the time.”

There are times where I do not enjoy being an introvert, but there are other times where I love it. If you’re also an introvert, don’t worry. Search for people who don’t ask you to change when you are with them. I have come to find that great friends are those to accept you being an introvert and love you no matter what. Hopefully one day, both introverts and extroverts will be accepted in society. Until then, we all should love ourselves as introverts. Keep being the amazing, Netflix loving person you are. And don’t let anyone take away that writing notebook because one day, that writing will save a life.