Being A Goal Digger

Being A Goal Digger

How to become the best version of yourself.
5929

In life, everyone strives to be successful. Success has different meanings for everyone, but Merriam Webster defines it as, “The fact of getting or achieving wealth, respect or fame,” or, “a desired outcome." Many people work for most of their lives to be successful in whatever they are doing. Though, in the last few years, the term “goal digger” has been a popular term thrown around by millennials. I define a goal digger as someone who knows what they want and is willing to put the time and work into achieving it.

Oddly enough, goal diggers and gold diggers often get confused, but let me explain. Gold diggers are defined as someone becoming romantically involved with a wealthy individual in order to gain gifts, financial or social status. Gold diggers will always be fighting to get out of someone else’s shadow, while goal diggers will be fighting to be a better version of themselves. It is important to recognize the difference so that you can make a vital connection between success and happiness.

It is important to recognize what makes you happy. For some, it is working hard at their job, for others it could be competing at a certain sport or activity and for others it is just spending time with those they care about. Ultimately, at the end of the day, if you aren't doing something you are passionate about, you will never be successful or happy. If you are always fighting to make it out of someone’s shadow, you will never truly be happy. But if you always strive to be a better you than you were yesterday happiness will follow.

Goal diggers are working towards their goals for themselves -- not for anyone else. In life, you have to do some things just because they make you happy. This is a driving force for creating goals, working towards them and achieving them. If you make a goal because you want to impress someone or for any other superficial reason, you will not achieve that goal. You have to want to do it for you, not because of anyone else. Self motivation is a key ingredient to being a successful goal digger.

Once you have set your goals and are self motivated to complete them, it’s time to get to work! You don’t have to complete your goal in a day, or even a month, but work hard and don’t give up. It will be tough and some days, you won’t want to work at all. This is OK, as long as you don’t give up on it. Rome wasn’t built in a day and you won’t achieve your goals in one either. Continue to be diligent and work at it and you will achieve it.

Now it is time to get moving! Start dreaming. Start working. Start achieving. Do it for you. Become a better you than you were yesterday. Start goal digging.

“Mirror, mirror on the wall, I’ll always get up after I fall. And whether I run, walk, or have to crawl, I’ll set my goal and achieve them all.”
-Chris Butler