Being A First Time Bridesmaid

Being A First Time Bridesmaid

Bride tribe tips and tricks.

244
Being A First Time Bridesmaid
Bridesmaids Movie

This year I have had the amazing opportunity to be a bridesmaid in one of my best friend's weddings. Being only 22, this is my first wedding experience as an adult. I wanted to share some of the tips and rules I've gathered so far in this journey as a first time bridesmaid. Hopefully you'll find them useful!

1. Create a wedding fund
When I first accepted my honor of being a bridesmaid, I had to realize that I was also accepting a financial responsibility. I quickly started putting away cash into an envelope marked "Wedding Fund." It may sound like it's no big deal whether it's cash or just somewhere in your bank account, but the physical money in the envelope has really helped me keep it all together and not touch it. I put everything else on my card, and it's easy to lose track of your money when it's all being used electronically. Do the cash thing, I promise it'll help.

2. Respect and help your maid of honor
The Maid of Honor is the leader of your bride tribe. Whether she's a first timer, or a seasoned MOH queen, you have to realize that she is the one in charge of your plans. The bride picked this person for a reason. Your job is to support them 100 percent, and make sure that you're available to help in any way that you can. If you're that one bridesmaid who decides she's going to challenge the MOH, it's not going to bode well with the other members of her tribe (thankfully there hasn't been any of that in this wedding, but we've all heard horror stories)!

3. It is not your day
I never thought that I would have to say to anyone in a serious tone, but clichés are clichés for a reason. I know that it is so important to be involved, but if your schedule doesn't coincide for what is best for the rest of the group, you're just going to have to take one for the tribe. And the tribe can't revolve around just you. Just do your best to take off of work, earn the money, and be there. I know it's hard to rearrange your schedule, and I couldn't imagine adding kids and significant others to the mix, but just take a deep breath and remember it's all for the good of the tribe, and ultimately the bride.

4. Do not go to the bride with your wedding problems
I have just realized how hard it is when it's your best friend getting married and you can't go to them to talk about the problems you're having planning things for the wedding. Honestly, you may not have known the other bridesmaids before this, but lean on your tribe. They are all trying to do their best for the bride just like you are. They are there for you. Don't worry the bride with wedding problems. Any wedding activity is her chance to finally sit down and be pampered while someone else plans something for a change. Remember, she just planned an entire wedding!

5. Realize how much of an honor this is
If you're a first timer like me, just take a minute to realize how incredibly special this opportunity is. Someone that you love has asked you to stand up beside them on one of the most important days of their lives. Through all the stress and planning that both you and especially the bride are going through, you get to be a part of their wedding day. They picked you.

In the end, just make sure that your bride and your tribe are having the time of their lives every chance that you get! You get to help plan all of the little parties leading up to the big giant one! And the bride has already taken care of that one for you. Just remember how easy of a job you get compared to the two people who put it all together, and make sure every moment leading up to that big one is filled with love.

PS - The wedding hasn't happened yet! So if you have any tips or tricks for me and other bride tribes out there, make sure to share this post and let me know. Us rookies can use all the help we can get!