Being A Christian In College Isn't Easy, But It Is Worth It

It's about where you turn when life comes crashing down.
104

People constantly tell me being a Christian in college is hard. Well, they aren't wrong. Relinquishing control to God is not something that comes naturally to us and it takes a lot of work. I've been in college now for about six weeks, and I have seen the biggest leap in my faith from where I was to where I am now.

I know that a lot of my articles recently have been about my faith and my walk with Christ, but if that's what He's calling me to do...who am I to say no? That has been a lot of what my journey has looked like. It's been a lot of, "whatever you want God" and, "if it's your will, then it's my will."

Let me tell you firsthand, that is not easy. Completely and utterly giving your life to Christ is one of the craziest things you will ever do. We have been brought up with this idea that we need to have control over our own lives. The thought of giving that up is terrifying, yet I have found so much freedom in it.

When all of the exams, projects, and presentations pile up, it's easy to push God to the side and say, "Yeah, I'll read my Bible tomorrow. I don't have time right now." I think one of the most incredible things about being a Christian is that we are covered by grace.

That's kind of my new tagline and it has been my motto over the last week or so. Truly, though, what a concept! We can mess up continually, and we are still covered by the grace of God. He understands that we will focus on earthly things sometimes, and He is ready and waiting, no matter what, to just completely cover us in His grace.

I think one of the most important things about being a Christian in college is learning how to say no. That has always been something I have struggled with, and I never want to upset anyone.

What I've learned is that if your "friends" are trying to get you to do something you don't want to do, they aren't your friends! Never be afraid to stand up for what you believe in and push your faith to the forefront of your mind always.

The overall and most exciting thing that has happened since I've been here at TCU is watching God use me to bring other people to Him. Even just the simple act of bringing someone to church can change the pathway of how they live their lives.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is never be afraid to spread the Good News. Our entire goal here on this planet as Christians is to let people know about God, and I think that is the best way to stay strong in your faith throughout college.

Make friends, read your Bible, and spread the news of the Lord wherever you go!