Being Black At UNCG Is Where It's At

Being Black At UNCG Is Where It's At

My thoughts on being blessed to be apart of such a inclusive and woke Institution and having the privilege to be surrounded by so many like minded, intelligent, and educated Black Individuals

1592
Being Black At UNCG Is Where It's At
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/04/6365846409244558132052461394_IMG_6536[1].JPG

Boy do I love being a Black female at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. It is just so nice to be able to go to a school and be in classes where I see people who look like me. Not just any ordinary black girls and guys, but black girls and guys with some intelligence, a will to learn, and a desire to be great. Every Black person here is always on their grind, getting involved, networking, and making sure to stay on top of their school work so that they can put themselves in the best positions they could possible be in post graduation. This is something that I take as a privilege, because not everybody is fortunate enough to attend a diverse and woke of a school as I do, and to be surrounded by so many like minded people as motivated and academically driven as at UNCG.

So, as I was trying to find some inspiration this week in what I wanted to write about in my article walking down towards the fountain, which is a nice outside common area in front of Fountain View, which is the cafeteria for UNCG students if you didn't know already, I stumbled upon a whole bunch of Black people, dressed to the nine, blasting our music, black girls and guys dancing with their friend groups, all the black frats out, and just vibing with one another. It was just so nice to be surrounded by my people from the lightest light skin to the darkest dark skin, on a sunny day, and having fun meeting more people like me.

My early education, from elementary school, to middle school, to high school, consisted of majority white students who came from the same sorts of backgrounds: wealthy, privileged, white, republican majority, homes. UNCG is the most diverse and liberal school I have ever attended, and that is one of the main reasons why I came here. Here, at UNCG, there is a plethora of students from all sorts of backgrounds, and I have found that everybody for the most part is so supportive of one another and finds a way to bring all of our unique backgrounds and cultures together. People don't judge, and everybody likes to promote inclusivity. You don't have to look the cutest to make friends or get noticed, here, it's about who is on top of their shit, and who is able to be successful in all of the areas which he/she decides they want to be apart of that the school has to offer.

As I have adjusted and finally gotten situated with myself and my identity, I find myself wanting to get more involved and embracing in events and moments like these, which I can cherish forever. These days are the best part of college, and I am just so proud of myself and my peers for setting a standard for the black population of UNCG, and for our ability to be united and supportive of one another.

In general there is just something sweet about Black people coming together and embracing our culture. Don't get me wrong, being Black in America is not ideal in some aspects, such as variables that may include the environment or setting in which you are in, or the school in which you attend which may have issues of racism and discrimination, and yes it happens everywhere. But one thing that I know for sure is that when a group of Black people can come together for one common purpose, and we are united, we are an untouchable force, and nobody, no haters, no discriminators can bring us down or take our joy.

I am living my life to the fullest and am proud to be apart of a school that represents and embraces being a Black, motivated, and educated female like I am. I love my school, and I will always bleed blue and gold.

From Your Site Articles