The Cliché Of Being An Aunt Hit Me Harder Than I Expected, But He Makes That OK

All I ask from him is to continue to be the light in the world that my family so lovingly needed.

281
Casey Whoolery-Pratt

I've had some pretty big things happen in my life. But, nothing will ever come close to the day my sister made me an aunt. You always read these articles that talk about how amazing having a niece/nephew is, but never actually understand until one of these amazing little people enter your life. Well, now I do.

The day my nephew was born, my world turned upside down. Granted, I knew I loved him the day I found out that he was on his way, which is such weird concept to me, loving someone you haven't even met yet. But, I did and when we did meet it grew bigger the than the Grinches did on Christmas (and that is a lot in case you did know).

My point is, this little man who looks around with a wide-eyed curiosity makes me want to be present. His smile makes me want to be kind. His laugh makes me want to be light-hearted. His cry makes me want to be strong. His fear makes me want to be protective. His pain makes me want to comfort.

I strive to be all of these things for him. In hopes that he will be present, kind, light-hearted, strong, protective, and comforting. All things God, his parent's, and I hope for. But, what I don't realize most of all, I am doing these things all for him and because of him, I am a better me. It's kinda crazy how such a tiny and curious soul can make an impact larger than anything I've ever seen.

My promise to him is to love him unconditionally, be an ear when he needs it, an armor when he is weak, and to continually strive to be the person he is encouraging me to be right now. All I ask from him is to continue to be the light in the world that my family so lovingly needed.