Being A ‘Brown Skin Girl’ Before It Was Cool

My Journey Being A ‘Brown Skin Girl’ Before It Was Cool

Your skin just like pearl, the best thing in the world, never trade you for anybody else!

269
Alissa Pressley

It's so rewarding that people of darker complexion are finally getting the praise and spotlight from social media and society. Darker skinned people, specifically dark skin African Americans have always been put down and shamed for having darker skin. It wasn't too long ago that the 'Light Skin vs. Dark Skin' social media debate raged over the interwebs. This poisonous mindset of lighter complexions being better than darker complexions started with slavery. Darker complexions worked out in the fields while the lighter complexions worked in the Master's house due to their complexions being closer to 'white'.

My journey being a dark skin girl was more mentally challenging than anything. I had to ensure in myself that I was beautiful despite what everyone or the media around me argued.

Honestly I wasn't the cutest baby to exist but my melanin has BEEN popping! It wasn't until starting school that I took notice of the back-handed compliments or the slightly mean comments from kids and the lack of representation for my complexion.

I've been told on several occasions that I was 'cute for a dark skin girl'. Meaning that I was cute but if I wasn't dark skinned I could be even cuter. I've even been told that I look like a cute dark skin version of my cuter lighter skinned cousin. She and I look absolutely nothing alike but because she was pretty and light skin, I just had to fall somewhere.

I was never the girl with many suitors during school. And being naïve I contributed it to my dark skin. I thought it made me less attractive and less desirable. If everywhere you turn, you see a lighter complexioned girl with long curly hair always getting the guy, how do you think that would make you feel? The dark skin girls I saw were always in the background of music videos just twerking.

To make others want me (as crazy as that sounds) I tried to over compensate by participating in literally everything school offered. That's part of the reason why I ran for homecoming every year, class president every year, and joined a BUNCH of clubs every year. I thought maybe if people had no choice but to see me all the time, maybe just maybe they could see me for more than just my skin.

I read this book called "The Skin I'm In" by Sharon G. Flake, and it changed my perception of myself for forever. The protagonist in the story was dark skinned just like me and we shared so many other similarities. After reading that book I fell in love with my skin, despite the pesky acne. My dark skin is beautiful and it has always been beautiful! I just needed a reminder.

Although I'm so happy that darker skinned people are getting the love and attention we deserve. I hate how it had to become a trend in order for it to be accepted. Beyoncé had to release a song for people to finally see me and appreciate me (don't get me wrong, the song is a bop). And Rihanna had to extend foundation shades for people to finally see me and appreciate me.

This is me in all my melanted glory. I am beautiful and I am enough!