5 Things to keep in mind as you start the new semester

5 Things To Keep In Mind As We Begin A New Semester

You probably know some of these, but we all need a reminder from time to time.

12
Photo by Claudia on Unsplash

I'm currently beginning my seventh semester of college (whoa, that's crazy) and I am absolutely stoked about it. I know some of us look forward to the new semester, while others dread it, but wherever you fall, here are some things to keep in mind.

1. Organize and write things down

I know you're probably like "duh", but writing things down and having your goals, assignments, due dates, reminders, etc, all in one place really does help you to keep track of it all.

For me personally, I use a planner (I live by my planner) and I also have an app called My Study Life where I am able to plug in all of my assignments and due dates so that reminders are also directly on my phone.

Using both of these tools has been extremely beneficial for me, but I also know that everyone is different so what works for me might not work for you.

With that in mind, if you don't currently use a planner or an app, or whatever it may be, I highly recommend at least trying it out, because you might find it's a lifesaver.

Plus, who doesn't love a cute planner? Mine's white and gold this year, I'm obsessed.

2. Just hear me out: get out of the habit of procrastinating

Now that we've discussed the ways in which you can keep yourself organized this year, actually utilize those tools and to the best of your ability, try to get out of the habit of procrastinating.

Easier said than done, I know. I struggle with this myself. But, I strongly encourage you to get into a habit of completing your assignments and studying or whatever it may be, early.

You definitely don't have to go crazy and complete everything the day it's assigned, but making it a priority to get things done even a little bit early will save you a world of stress later.

3. Create a routine for yourself

As much as possible, try to stick to a schedule. I'm not saying to plan every day out minute by minute, but the key here is to find a schedule that works for you.

When you have a schedule and, for the most part, stick to it, it becomes a routine, and you'll be more likely to stay on track. Of course, this is going to look different for everyone.

Last year when I was going to class every day, I had a routine which was basically centered around my classes and my work schedule, and most of my days were structured in a similar manner.

This year, I'm doing all of my classes online so that I have the ability to travel when I need to, which is super helpful. But for when I am home, in town, I like for my days to at least loosely follow a routine.

I'll typically wake up, have coffee, get ready, go to campus and do school work for a few hours, get lunch, etc.

4. Clean out your inboxes

I know this sounds like such a minor thing, but at least for me, de-cluttering my emails (plural because I have a personal one and a school one) makes a huge difference.

When I have a cluttered inbox, I feel overwhelmed, and it's also easy for important emails to get lost in the rest of them.

Taking the time to do this can get tedious and time-consuming, so that's why I like to do it at the beginning of each semester, and then it's easier to keep up within smaller amounts throughout the rest of the semester. Give it a try!

5. Get enough sleep

I know you're rolling your eyes right now, but this really is a reminder we all need. As a college student, it's so easy to not get enough sleep.

Between classes, homework, jobs, trying to maintain a social life, being stressed, and whatever else, we're busy. It's easy to stay up and also just not get good, quality sleep.

This is your reminder to make sleep, and actually just self-care in general, a priority. It really will help so much. You'll be able to focus better, you'll feel better, be in a better mood, better health, the list goes on and on.

Hopefully now you're feeling motivated to start the semester off strong. Dean's list here we all come?