5 Yoga Poses To Do After Your Desk Job

10 Yoga Poses To Help You Unwind After Your 9 To 5

If you have a desk job where you sit all day with minimal movement, you might want to get into the habit of doing these five yoga poses to prevent any serious impairment.

143

Well, you made it. You finally have entered the adult world with your first office job! Whether it be an internship or your first post-college career move, the office environment is brand new to you. You've always pictured what it would be like landing your first 9-5 desk job. But nothing could quite prepare you for the pain and discomfort you might be feeling from sitting in a desk for 8 hours a day. Back pain, hip pain, and a stiff neck can be common among those who work in an office. I don't know about you, but I don't want my body to be stiff all the time. No thank you!! So here are 10 yoga poses that can help prevent any serious damage and improve your overall health!

1. Child's Pose

WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU? First of all, child's pose is the best pose EVER. It's easy and relaxing. It's great for digestion because it massages your internal organs and can help relive menstrual cramping. It also opens up your hips, which is a perfect stretch to use after sitting in a desk all day where your hip muscles stiff up and tighten.

2. Forward Fold

WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU? You may be thinking, "What's the big deal, you're just bending forward". But that's EXACTLY it. How often do you take the time to bend forward in a full body stretch, let alone do it for more than a couple of seconds? It opens up the entire backside of the body, which creates space between each vertebrae, increasing overall circulation.

3. Cobra Pose

WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU? Stretching your arms above your head in this position helps to release tension from your shoulders and upper back. Like the other poses, it focuses on stretching out your spine and bringing oxygen to muscles that may become tight from sitting at a desk all day.

4. Prayer Twist (Right and Left)

WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU? This pose strengthens your spine, core and back mobility. The twisting motion and stretch helps to circulate blood flow to your spine. Lack of blood flow to certain areas of the body can increase the risk of blood clots. So even if these poses seem too simple to make a difference, think again!

5. Happy Baby Pose

WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU? This pose can massage out the muscles surround your spine if you roll side to side. Bringing your knees tight into your chest is a great hip opener and can stretch out muscles that have been stationary all day from sitting at a desk.

6. Pigeon Pose

WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU? This is my ALL TIME favorite pose. Also hip opener, this pose helps to stretch out tight hips by stretching out the hip rotators and the hip flexors which are the long muscles that run along the front of your thighs and pelvis.

7. Tree Pose

WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU? This is a great balancing pose. By balancing your weight all on one foot, you really focus on tightening your core to strengthening your sense of balance. Mentally, this pose can help you practice finding peace in stressful situations.

8. Downward Dog

WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU? Downward dog works so many different muscles all at once. It works the hamstrings, shoulders, calves, arches, hands, and spine while building strength in your arms, shoulders, and legs. It gives you energy and prepares your body for the rest of your yoga flow.

9. Mountain Pose

WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU? This pose is great for reducing back pain. Back bends can be practiced at many different levels of difficulty, but mini back bends like this one are great for practicing daily. It provides just enough stretch to work your thighs, knees and ankles too.

10.  Fish Pose

WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU? Another back-bending pose, this opens up the chest, abdomen, and throat by allowing oxygen to get to those areas and muscles. Meditating in this position regularly can help neutralize pressure on the neck and spine as well, which is great relief for sitting at a desk all day.

Self-care is super important, especially when you work an office job and can easily get stuck in a robotic routine. Yoga is a great way to relieve stress, stretch yourself out and meditate. Getting into the habit of practicing these poses regularly can help better your self-care!