Before You Transfer

Before You Transfer

Sometimes college is everything you could imagine except when it's not

25
Before You Transfer
UCR Registrar

Breathe. College is hard and is a new experience, so when you think that you are not good enough, breathe. It doesn't matter what college or university you attend because there is a good chance that at the end of the year, you will look back and there will be one point that you almost lost your marbles and wanted to switch your school. There are a plethora of reasons and circumstances that may cause one to want to transfer, but before you make your decision, think twice.

For me personally, I am happy I didn't transfer, but for some, transferring was the best decision in their life. I was a great student in high school. I received straight A's even in my college courses but when I arrived in the fall, it was a whole new ballgame. The class load was a lot tougher than I thought. Normal three hours of week for studying in high school turned into three hours a day in college. The professors were hard and it was very obvious that there were kids who were at different levels of knowledge than me. I completely shut myself off from the school and wanted to just go home.

A quick talk with my advisor made me realize that I was not the only one who has ever felt like this but she also shed light on the fact that going to this hard of a private university is going to be very hard, but in the end it is going to be so rewarding. She made me realize that sometimes you are going to mess up, but you should stick through it.

I wanted to transfer to be closer with friends because being eight hours away from them was something I hated. I wanted to be closer to family because seeing them every four months is difficult when you are so family oriented. I had so many reasons why I wanted to go home, but at the end of the day I found so many reasons on why I am happy I didn't transfer.

Join a greek organization, find another group of friends, and if you are struggling academically, realize you are not the only one and it is completely okay to have receive a bad grade. Talk to professors and advisors, they will help guide you because they have probably had to guide someone down the same path you are going.

Sometimes you need to transfer and that is completely okay. Sometimes the place you are at isn't working and sometimes you just have to do it to make you happy, but before you do anything too drastic, take a moment to realize you were accepted for a reason. You may feel like an idiot right now but none of it will matter when you are holding that diploma in your hand showing the world that you did it.