Before I Die I Want To...

Before I Die I Want To...

The choice is yours.

56
Before I Die I Want To...
MARISA BUCOLO

Last Spring break, I was in Cleveland on a Service and Justice Experience through my school where we were able to become educated in a variety of issues such as human trafficking, the refugee crisis, and other unjust issues many marginalized groups face. While this week was extremely hopeful due to the positive, heartwarming people we met, it was also discouraging and frustrating because many people are tackling tremendously tolling life challenges alone with no one on their side.

During the trip, we stumbled across a sign that said: "Before I die I want to….". People had written many specific responses in chalk ranging from "skydive" to "live". This board was extremely powerful because we are given the choice on what we want to do with our lives. We have the opportunity to do so many incredible things in our lifetime, so this board helps us highlight future goals or actions to complete. Everyone is different and therefore many different responses were represented, but...

...mine consisted of three words: make a difference.

I know. This is broad and means a million different things to people, but to me, it means positively impacting another's life. This does not mean saving people as I believe no one needs to be saved, but this means following the essence of my favorite quote "you don't need a reason to help people." Whether it is taking time out of my day or my year, I hope to contribute to one's or many peoples happiness and wellbeing. We are all fighting invisible (or visible) battles that may require help even though it is not always asked for. I'm not saying that people are always dependent on others, but having someone on your side through thick and thin is one of the best gifts we can have in life. If I can be someone's cheerleader, shoulder to cry on, or even a hand to hold then I will be fulfilled. This doesn't seem like much or a large-scale impact, but to me, this means the world.

So I leave myself with this promise: live compassionately, empathetically, respectfully, and gratefully with others always in mind.