Before Him

Before Him

Before finding love, I don't think I ever realized why I wanted it.

7
Before Him

Before finding love, I don't think I ever realized why I wanted it. For many years, the desire for a relationship was nothing more than a sign of status as much as I hate to admit it. It was what all the popular kids were doing in high school. I saw it as a sign of success to have a person to call your own, and the possibility of always having a date to a wedding, and relinquish my agonizing status as a third wheel was all I craved.

Before I met him though, I didn't understand what I really wanted. I didn't understand the depth and breadth my love for him would reach. I didn't realize the power his warmth could have on me: How his sadness could engulf me and his joy could lift me. I didn't know how all-consuming love could be. Before him I was searching for acceptance and belonging.

So now, as we reach a year of laughing, crying, and all the emotions in between, I see what I really wanted. My soul craved something more and my heart ached for a heart like his. I needed his witty remarks, warm hugs, impossibly loving conversations, and all the forehead kisses. He is good to me and he is the one whom my heart loves.