Bedtime Blessings

Bedtime Blessings

The innocence of a child in prayer
2

The night would fall and we would pray

together at our table,

on our knees and by our beds

Life was a happy fable

Our family’s big, Our house is small

We’re crowded as can be.

But Father, there’s a lot of love

That’s shared here happily

My ma would tuck me in

I’d hug my dad in a warm embrace

I’d rest with peace and serene sweet dreams

There was no problem I couldn’t face

Now I lay me down to sleep

I pray the Lord my soul to keep

If I should die before I wake,

I pray the Lord my soul to take

We said the words with voices held low

But the angel of death? He did not show.

He not once lurked under my bed.

The reaper didn’t harm a hair on my head.

I love my Mom and my Daddy, too

They keep me safe each day

Please pray for brothers Kevin, Patrick, Sean, Rory and sister Maggie, too

That they have more time to play.

But one day we stopped those nightly rituals

They love me but it’s such a shame

I lay on my back all by myself

Aware that we’ll never, ever be the same.

Goodnight, my dear

Now remember I love you and please sleep tight.

And now there’s one last thing I have to tell you:

Don’t let the bedbugs bite!

We’re ghosts, shadows, and silhouettes,

lurking in our own home.

Amen.

Cover Image Credit: tumblr

I'm The Girl Without A 'Friend Group'

And here's why I'm OK with it

869170

Little things remind me all the time.

For example, I'll be sitting in the lounge with the people on my floor, just talking about how everyone's days went. Someone will turn to someone else and ask something along the lines of, "When are we going to so-and-so's place tonight?" Sometimes it'll even be, "Are you ready to go to so-and-so's place now? Okay, we'll see you later, Taylor!"

It's little things like that, little things that remind me I don't have a "friend group." And it's been like that forever. I don't have the same people to keep me company 24 hours of the day, the same people to do absolutely everything with, and the same people to cling to like glue. I don't have a whole cast of characters to entertain me and care for me and support me. Sometimes, especially when it feels obvious to me, not having a "friend group" makes me feel like a waste of space. If I don't have more friends than I can count, what's the point in trying to make friends at all?

I can tell you that there is a point. As a matter of fact, just because I don't have a close-knit clique doesn't mean I don't have any friends. The friends I have come from all different walks of life, some are from my town back home and some are from across the country. I've known some of my friends for years, and others I've only known for a few months. It doesn't really matter where they come from, though. What matters is that the friends I have all entertain me, care for me, and support me. Just because I'm not in that "friend group" with all of them together doesn't mean that we can't be friends to each other.

Still, I hate avoiding sticking myself in a box, and I'm not afraid to seek out friendships. I've noticed that a lot of the people I see who consider themselves to be in a "friend group" don't really venture outside the pack very often. I've never had a pack to venture outside of, so I don't mind reaching out to new people whenever.

I'm not going to lie, when I hear people talking about all the fun they're going to have with their "friend group" over the weekend, part of me wishes I could be included in something like that. I do sometimes want to have the personality type that allows me to mesh perfectly into a clique. I couldn't tell you what it is about me, but there is some part of me that just happens to function better one-on-one with people.

I hated it all my life up until very recently, and that's because I've finally learned that not having a "friend group" is never going to be the same as not having friends.

SEE ALSO: To The Girls Who Float Between Friend Groups