Embracing Your Inner Leslie Knope

Embracing Your Inner Leslie Knope

Simple steps to becoming a #GirlBoss amidst expectations, judgment, challenges, and stereotypes.

30
Embracing Your Inner Leslie Knope
Wikipedia

Beyoncé. Serena Williams. Anna Wintour. Tavi Gevinson. Indra Nooyi. Diane Von Furstenburg. Leandra Medine. What do these well- known women have in common? What makes them inspirational, unique, and powerful? What sets women like this apart from the rest of the female population (aside from their daunting success and self- made legacies/ empires?) They are an up- and- coming breed of empowered, strong females. They are the go- getter, Leslie Knopes of the world. They are the Girl Bosses ("#GirlBosses").

Now, what the heck is a #Girlboss?

Urban Dictionary defines a "Girl Boss" as:

"A girl boss is a girl that don't take sh*t from anyone. They run whoever they want and get whatever they want from any guy they want. They do what they please without any questions because ladies run sh*t."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boss%20girl

As grammatically incorrect as Urban Dictionary is (you can thank the general public for their lack of basic grammar), this definition pretty much gives you an idea of what being a "girl boss" means. It is strength, confidence, self- empowerment, and in this society...it has become a new term or "persona" defining Feminism. Who wouldn't want to be all of these things?

So, here are some helpful, simple tips to embracing/ finding your inner #GirlBoss:

1. Stay focused, stay grounded

In the midst of everyday life, it can be hard to look past all the bullsh*t going on around you. We get caught up in it all: friends, school, boys, family, jobs, fun, future, blah blah blah...it's hard to stay grounded. It's easy to just fall into the drama of life and get swept up in it all. Remembering to stay grounded in yourself, who you are, what is really important, and what you want is key to being a successful #GirlBoss.

2. Keep your dreams in mind

We are all different, and we all have specific interests, talents, and passions. These all help to form our "dreams" and aspirations. You should never forget these dreams. Life's a big sh*t storm of experiences, struggles, people, expectations, etc...your dreams should always serve as an inspiration to you and what you are choosing to pursue (on a career- level, but also in your general hobbies and activities.) #GirlBosses always follow their dreams, and real girl bosses will achieve them.

3. Forget what everybody thinks

It's time to face the facts. Not everyone is going to like you, and people love to talk. They love to have opinions and voice them/ discuss them with others (or to your face), even when they don't have a clue what they're talking about. Most of the time people's negative opinions will stem from boredom, jealousy, immaturity, insecurity, anger, etc. You just have to learn to take it all with a smile and ignore them. The opinions of others does not define you in any way. Plus, as the saying goes: "haters make me famous." Every #GirlBoss knows that.

4. Follow/ do what you love

It's a classic story that we all know: you're a freshman in college, trying to choose a major. You see all your friends, family etc. talk about how they want to be doctors and lawyers. So you put down "pre- med" or "pre- law" as your major and find yourself struggling to find the motivation to even get up and go, not to mention study, for all those organic chem. and anatomy classes. Life is short. There's no point wasting time on things that you don't enjoy. It's hard to determine that "dream job" that you're passionate about, I know, but pursuing something you don't even like is not a good start. Pursuing different activities and interests that you love can not only provide happiness, but it can help you determine what career you want to pursue. And pursuing what you truly enjoy can provide endless motivation, helping you to achieve your goals. Look at any big, successful #GirlBosses in society. I guarantee you that an overwhelming majority of them truly enjoy whatever it is that made them successful.

5. Educate yourself...and don't be afraid to show it

You should NEVER apologize for your education or any of your accomplishments. Education is an incredible thing to have. I, personally, went to a very academically rigorous high school well known for the "nerdy," "lame" qualities of the students. I get a lot of jokes and criticism for that and for different accomplishments that I have made, and I used to play down my own intelligence all the time (especially when surrounded by people far less intellectually motivated than myself.) I will never do that again. Your intelligence is your strength, and you should never stop looking for opportunities to add to your knowledge and understanding of the world. Read, research, listen, talk! A broader span of exposure to the world can only help you in the long run. Plus, the world is so interesting...there is so much out there for us to learn, we should never stop pursuing that! #GirlBosses are not only strong, they're smart. As Leandra Medine, the founder of ManRepeller.com would say: "There's no reason why brains and beauty can't co- exist" (link below!)

https://www.fastcompany.com/3030587/brilliant-minds/leandra-medine-founder-of-manrepellercom-on-beauty-vs-brains

6. Work hard

As someone who has fluctuated in my personal level of motivation/ work ethic...I have come to a point in life where I value hard work so much. Hard work definitely pays off, no matter what you are doing. Whether it's schoolwork, your job, your friendships, your relationships, or your creative pursuits...working hard will always help you get to where you want to go (even if it takes a while.) I started my own business, work, go to school, etc....and working hard within all these spectrums of my life has helped me to succeed so much. You need down time to have fun and go out with friends...but, you should never let that take over your life. You can still be fun while focusing on yourself, it's all about balance. #GirlBosses never stop working...it's how they build empires. I wonder when the last time Anna Wintour took a "day off" was?

7. Embrace your individuality

I could write a novel on "being weird." I am one of the weirdest people that I know, and am well known for how...unconventional my life/ I am. I went through a phase where I tried my hardest to stifle my personality and fit in by lying about certain interests, passions, decisions, and aspects of my life. I now embrace it all. Coming to terms with and embracing what sets you apart from the rest of the human population can be one of the greatest strengths you can possess. Look at some of the most powerful historic/ cultural figures: Salvador Dalí, Albert Einstein, Andy Warhol, Kurt Cobain, Steve Jobs, Neal Cassady, Basquiat, etc. etc. etc....they were all different. Embracing your uniqueness is what sets you apart and can give you the strength to be a total #GirlBoss.

8. Learn to love yourself! Confidence can make a HUGE difference

The #1 essential quality of a #GirlBoss is confidence. Confidence dictates everything. Your mental health, how you walk, how you talk, how you handle certain situations, how you let others affect you, your happiness. Insecurity is not an attractive quality, and you would be surprised how easy it is for others to pick up on it. How you feel about yourself reflects in how you treat others, and has tangible effects on every aspect of your life. #GirlBosses are not insecure. They are strong, independent, and value confidence above anything else. Even if your main goal here isn't to be a girl boss...confidence is simply something that every woman- point blank- should work on. Behind every great man there may be an even greater woman, but behind every great woman there's confidence. A #GirlBoss never forgets this. You can't be a #GirlBoss without it.

9. It all starts with you

Going along with the whole "confidence" thing...having the power to be a #GirlBoss all starts with you and how you feel deep down inside. Who you are as a person: a woman of strength, passion, confidence, motivation, humility, kindness, intelligence, respect, culture, interest, value...this is what sets you apart. We are, unfortunately, living in a society where values and expectations are constantly changing. There are a lot of women out there who lack the strength to keep their heads up and live to their full potential. There are women who allow men, other women, etc. drag them down. Being #GirlBoss means rising above all of this. It is female, personal strength. You may not be the next Beyoncé or some billionaire business- mogul...but you can still be a #GirlBoss. It's not about fame and wealth, it is about your spirit. It seems like a ridiculous, humorous concept...but, we should all strive to be #GirlBosses. So go out and embrace your inner Leslie Knope, ladies! There's no point being "vanilla" when you can be rainbow swirl + sprinkles!