how to be a creative person

15 Ways You Will Change (For The Better) When You Start Practicing Creativity Every Day

Being more creative will change your life.

50
Reganne Hoirup

Practicing creativity can be doing anything from listening to music or taking a walk, to spending time with kids or reading a good book. Each person has their own way of being creative, the trick is to actually start doing it.

1.You will become more aware of self-expression as an art form

By this, I mean that maybe people who have rainbow hair and wear wacky clothes, aren't the weird ones. Maybe they're the ones who are authentic enough to reflect who they are internally, by the clothes they wear. By being more creative yourself, you will start to judge others less, and appreciate their deliberately quirky and unique style more.

2. Inspiration is everywhere

You will be able to find inspiration in anything from the bustling, culture-dense, metropolis that is Seattle, Washington, to the hallowed halls of your old elementary school. You will be inspired by the colors, the smells, the sounds, the people, and their stories.

3. Mindfulness comes with creativity

Being mindful is simply the art of being aware. In being creative, you have to be aware of your thoughts, in order to express yourself. You become more mindful of who you are, when you give yourself that opportunity to express yourself through a creative medium.

4. Namastay In Bed (And Write All Day)

We can all get a little (a lot) stressed out at times. By taking time out of your day to do something creative, you are giving yourself a chance to breathe and have some peace. It is your time to just focus on you and release some creative energy that you may have been holding onto for years.

5.You will become more creative (Duhhh)

The more you create, the more creative you will become.

6. You'll Become Hella Motivated

Creation equals motivation. By being creative, you will be more inclined to see how far you can go and what it will take to reach your greatest potential.

7.You will come to appreciate art that maybe you didn't really appreciate before

You will start to realize that you don't need to understand art to appreciate it. All art is subjective to each creator and viewer. You don't have to like it to understand it and you don't need to understand it to appreciate it.

8. It will give you time to be a kid again

Remember when you were younger and the only thing that you wanted was to receive your Hogwarts acceptance letter in the mail (OKAY tbh I'm still waiting for mine). Or when you were really little and you would check the wardrobe at your grandparents house just to see if it would take you to Narnia. Your imagination was endless. You could fold a piece of paper in half and call it a laptop. Introducing that childlike imagination and opportunity to dream back into your life, will benefit you in all parts of your life.

9. You will have the daily opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone and push yourself

Maybe you don't really feel like painting today or you're out of ideas for the children's book you're trying to write. By pushing yourself past these mental blocks, you will start to train your mind to be able to grow in all aspects of your life.

10. Your critical thinking will expand

A lot of art is centered around big ideas. Life, death, happiness, sadness…When you get to the point that you want to show other people what you have created, you will wonder how they will perceive what you are trying to portray. This is where your critical thinking will come in. As you are creating, you have to ask yourself, "Does this demonstrate what I'm trying to show the world?" From there you can make adjustments with color, texture, length, verbs, saturation, or any other trait that you want to, in order to get your main idea across, in the most fitting way possible.

11.You will start seeing art in everything

That cherry blossom tree that you have driven by almost everyday for your entire life? Art. The dining room table that has been passed down in your family for several generations? Art. That film that you watched in class the other day? Art. You will start to see the creative influence in average parts of your everyday life. It's awesome.

12.You will have time during the day to unplug from your phone

We are on our phones for over six hours every day. By taking an hour out of your day to write and listen to music or sketch or take pictures, you give yourself a much needed break from your phone. By putting your social media, email, texts, and other time consuming activities on pause for a little bit, you can give your brain and mental health, the break that it deserves.

13.The more you practice being creative, the better you will get and the more confident you will become

So, you wrote an incredible slam poem. I'm talking 22 Jump Street, Cynthia incredible. You had been working on that poem for months and finally, you perfected it. After sharing it at a poetry reading, you had several people approach you and tell you how much that poem meant to them. How it spoke to their soul. Now your confidence is through the roof. You put your heart and soul into writing that poem, and to know that it meant so much to so many people is the best affirmation you could receive. The more passion you put into what you create, the prouder you will be of yourself.

14. You will feel like a total badass with all of your art on your walls

Getting to hang your photography, sketches, or watercolor paintings on your wall is the coolest feeling ever. Everything is custom made by you, and it reflects who you are and what you've been through.

15. You will learn something new everyday

Creativity is sparked when you begin to want to learn something new everyday. Whether that be about yourself, the universe, your religion or beliefs, your technique, or the medium that you're working with, you are going to learn something new every time you are creative.

"Make visible what without you, might perhaps never have been seen." — Robert Bresson