Writing Tips

5 Tips To Become A Better Writer During Your Time Off This Summer

2. Read, read, read!

247

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is a good writer — at least I don't think people are born naturally good writers.

I know I wasn't. Took a lot of trial and error before I considered myself a "good writer." And as for you, lovely reader, what better time to start practicing your writing than this summer? Practice makes perfect after all.

So, from one writer to another, here are 5 tips to become a better writer!

1. Writer’s block happens to the best of us

It's inevitable. Keep that in mind the next time you write your next English essay or novel (if that's what you're into). It takes time and patience. You'll get over it eventually and find your inspiration.

My advice? Take a breather. Go on a walk! Spend some time with your friends. Or do what I do: take a nap. Go back to it when you have a clear mind and creativity and inspiration coursing through your veins!

2. Read, read, read!

I use to read a lot of books. Mostly girly teen fiction. Lots of Goosebumps. Regardless of what you choose to read, reading is extremely crucial if you want to improve your own writing. You get to see other writers' writing styles, as well as get some inspiration for your own work.

3. Take a break

Similarly to my writer's block advice, taking a break is in itself an important step to any writing piece you create. When you're spending hours writing, re-reading, and editing your own work, you get pretty sick of it real fast. I know it happens to me.

So, take a break. Look over your work the next day.

4. Get an editor

For any piece of work you create, get yourself an editor. A second pair of eyes can help catch any errors you might've made. It's common to feel protective of your work. You don't usually catch the weird run-on sentences and overuse of commas at first.

5. Write

Lastly, write. Write about what you love, what you hate. Write about what you're passionate in. Write about topics that make you think and feel.

My best advice is to write about what you love. What you actually like and want to write about. When you write about what you care about, it shows.