The Beauty And Power Of Spoken Word Poetry

It's a hobby, it's an art, it's a lifestyle.

451
Wordle

Words. Words have such power and meaning. Words can be good and positive and uplifting. But words can also be bad and hurtful and destructive. It's all a matter of how we use these words. We can speak them, write them, type them, illustrate them. Words can be used to bring attention to a particular topic.

I've always enjoyed writing, but it wasn't until I met a good friend of mine, Miranda, that I realized how much I enjoyed writing. She was one of the first people to expose me to spoken word poetry and, let me tell you, she is AMAZING. Spoken word poetry is poetry that focuses on word-play and the aesthetic of how you use words to get across a point or a story. Spoken word not only focuses on the words that you write, but on the way that you orally present them.

So here is something little that I wrote. I hope that everyone will find good in this piece, in light of recent violence and riots that have occurred in our country. I know many are scared and outraged by our new president, but in actuality, we are in control. It's up to us how we react and handle everything that is going on around us.

As we walk through this world, there’s so much to see—

Places to go, people to meet.

But often times, we walk around blind

To what goes on around us, we push it out of our minds.

There’s discrimination, there’s violence and everything in between.

What can we do to stop this?

Well, it’s up to you and me.

What people don’t understand,

Is that this world, it can be changed.

We, can change it—

Through hope, motivation, determination and drive.

The lives we could change, it just blows my mind.

With hope for tomorrow and all the days to come,

Let’s open our eyes, our hearts and our souls, and just run.

There are so many doubts that we have; fears.

Fears of “I’m not good enough”

Fears of “I can’t make a difference”

Fears of “I can’t” and “I’m not” and “I couldn’t”

Well STOP. You can and you will.

There’s too much doubt, negativity and ignorance in this world.

It’s time for a change.

And not just in the world, but in our hearts.

It starts with us.

And unless we change our mindset and how we think,

How can we change the world?

However, there are some things we must accept…

We must accept the things we cannot change.

But does this constitute giving up?

No.

Hell, no.

We must push forward and strive for better.

We must stand together,

Through every battle, every hardship.

I hope that one day we can live in peace,

In complete freedom,

complete equality.

But for now we must fight.

We must fight the battle for generations to come.

This is for those who are afraid—

Afraid to speak up, speak out,

Afraid of the judgement,

Afraid to be shunned and left behind—

This one is for you.

Believe in change,

Hope for a change.

Pray that one day, everyone will be able to see,

That everyone’s eyes will be opened.

So the shame, disgrace, violence and hurt can end.

It starts with us.