You Little Sun Of A Beach

You Little Sun Of A Beach

To all the people trying to ruin my beautiful beach day.

32
https://www.pexels.com/photo/aerial-photography-of-seashore-1680140/

As a Floridian, I am a beach lover. I grew up going to the beach constantly, from a one-year-old (or probably even younger than that), I was on those sandy shoes, bathing suit, hat and all getting my tan on. As a child don't worry my mother did take care of my skin, loads of sunscreen, hats to cover my head and face, and appropriate time under the umbrella. However, we were a beach kind of family, my hair was bleach blonde as a child and my skin was tan and my sisters and I were all happy and content on that beach for hours my parents recall.

As I grew up the beach days continued, we live merely an hour from the Gulf so it isn't a hassle to make our way down to the ocean. Throughout the school year we made appropriate amounts of beach visits, and every summer we take a trip up to Holden Beach, North Carolina for a week. On top of those mandatory beach trips, we always add in extras, a week of spring break in a beach suite, or a week or two over summer just for family fun. As I got older and everyone naturally gets busier, I made even more trips with friends when we were finally of age to drive that hour trip to the beach.

As I got older, however, the announces of others at the beach have raised my awareness. It seems the wave riding, football throwing, music playing, book reading by the ocean options are overrun with more and more people every year.

Don't get me wrong I can deal with the wider population attending the beach, if you go enough you figure out the spots with fewer people or the times of day or days of the year to avoid them, but you can't avoid them entirely. It's not like I hate people, I grew up in a family that doesn't mind talking to strangers (normal strangers). I for one can talk anyone's ear off, but some of you beachgoers, do not deserve the relaxing day at the beach if you're going to ruin mine.

First of all, sorry to be the one to say it, but if alcohol isn't allowed on many beaches neither should those lungs killing cigarettes. The smell of them makes me nauseous for starters. No one can argue with me that the smoke of them is good for surrounding strangers nor is it good for our precious environment-friendly beaches.

Secondly, watch your children. My parents watched me and I watch my cousins children, so why do a lot of you not watch your children? I'm young and I can deal with the occasional rowdy children running close by and whacking sand in my face or the accidentally (huge) splash of ocean water into my face. They are kids it isn't their fault, parents should be watching them and teaching them to be aware of these things however because it is the polite thing to do.

Thirdly, be courteous of who is around you all together. It isn't just the children, but the adults, teenagers, etc. as well. It is common sense. If you are next to a family with young children, don't blare explicit music. If you are next to an elderly couple sitting reading their books, don't throw a football close enough that it will most likely hit them. If you see a young couple tanning in the direct sun, don't place your chair in their line sun. If you are walking past a child making a sand castle, don't step on it. It is simple and we can all do it.

If we could simply respect one another's time at the beach, we would probably all enjoy it a little more. Majority of us are spending the time and money to be there and take in all the enjoyment that accompanies the beach so don't ruin someone's day to better yours.