It's Okay To Prioritize Yourself Over Others, It's All About Balance

Let’s say you’re in a club or organization and your job has already been done. You do your part in attending meetings and events, upholding your position and contributing to discussions to give your input. But what if you’re swamped with all of that, on top of exams and a job and a different club?

Is it okay to slack a little and give yourself a break so that you can focus on your studies? Do you fear that the other members will call you out for not contributing your part? Well, you shouldn’t.

Sure, you should still be doing your part to uphold any responsibilities that come with your position. But it’s okay to say you can’t make it to an event because you’re drowning and only have that time to study. Don’t think that you’re the only one pulling the weight of the entire club.

There are other people who will be free and attend. And when you’re free, you’ll do the same for them. Just don’t use the studying excuse all the time, only when you actually need to!

Sometimes it’s easy to forget why we’re in school. It should first and foremost be to get an education, not to be the secretary of your community service club or the vice president of your fraternity. This is especially important to remember if your grades ever start to slip as a result of overcommitment to other obligations.

You should be prioritizing school work and studying before you try to make sacrifices and please other people. To be honest, the people in your organization probably don’t care as much as you think they do. They might talk a little behind your back, but if they do then why do you care what they think?

Let’s say it’s not a club or organization that’s making you stressed. What if your roommate is having a crisis but you’re in the middle of cramming for your exam? Of course, don’t be an a-hole and just ignore them. Ask them if they’re okay, offer a tissue or a hug, and try to comfort them if you can.

But you don’t have to spend the whole night with them unless they’re actually in serious danger. You have to study, and they will understand. They will be perfectly fine after the initial wave of emotions dies down and can vent to someone else who doesn’t have an all-nighter to pull. It may sound harsh, but at the end of the day, your grades will thank you.

Sometimes I try to overload myself so that others don’t have to. But if I really think about it, they probably couldn’t give a flying fla-doodle about me. So I’m not going to kill myself trying to help them out.

Sometimes it’s okay to be selfish and take time off for yourself.

Sometimes it’s okay to not make things 100 percent fair for every single person. It’s important to learn how to balance making time for yourself and your priorities, and doing what you have to do to support others.