Humans Need Less Screen Time And More Quality Time

Social media has way too much control over our lives, and it's time we make a change and focus more on what's happening right in front of us.

8

Ever since Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter were welcomed to the world as social networking sites, the human race became obsessed. The idea that we can now share anything with anyone all because of a social media platform is a daunting thought, but it can also excite us at the same time. Over the past decade, we've been given access to liking, sharing, and commenting on posts of friends, family members, or even strangers.

Though social media provides connections with people we may not have known otherwise, there can be a downside to this Internet age as well. Social media has an enormous effect on our society and the people within it, and it is beginning to take away from the amount of quality time we spend with one another on a daily basis.

Rather than engaging in conversation over lunch, we're staring down at our phone screens.

Even when we're spending time with our friends and family members, we find ourselves focusing more on our Instagram feed than the people surrounding us. We are all guilty of this in one way or another. It can be said that social media sites tend to pull us in with photos and posts about the latest trends, but what we're truly missing out on are the memories we could be making with people who are important to us. This goes for children, teenagers, and even adults, too.

We already spend a ton of time using a phone or laptop taking notes, online shopping, or watching Netflix. Why add the risk of missing out on our enjoyable moments with loved ones?

When we mindlessly scroll through apps and check the incessant notifications popping up on our screens, we're taking ourselves away from the present. In this day and age, it is so important to be intentional with our time. Life is short, and we don't want it to pass us by as we check the most recent Snapchat story.

Being present adds so much more value to our lives than unnecessarily staring at a screen does.

Meeting friends for ice cream, going for a walk outside, having a movie night with the family, or even starting the day with reading or meditation are perfect examples of living in the present moment. These activities are fulfilling and worthwhile, and could even become favorable for a daily routine.

Though some screen time can be both beneficial and enjoyable, it is the tedious act of doing so that takes away from truly living in the present. Reducing screen time can benefit one's productivity on a day-to-day basis. Even our own happiness could greatly benefit from lessening the number of times we check social media or simply get on our phones in general.

Several years from now, when we reminisce about the memories we made with friends, we want to remember all of the details and savor them, too. With that being said, put your phone down, look up, and enjoy the moment you are in.