Why Celebrating Your Friends' Wins Is Beneficial To You, Too
Politics

Celebrating A Friend's Accomplishment Cultivates Happiness In Your Life, Too

Learning to celebrate another's win when you've suffered lose after lose.

94
"Be happy with those who are happy and weep with those who weep." — Romans 12:15 NLT

"Be happy with those who are happy" a principle that I've been working on as a reminder that it isn't always about "me" and the situations that I'm currently going through. In fact, for those who believe servanthood than you know that it is rarely about us, as the Christian faith teaches us to place our focus on the betterment of humanity.

But that's a soapbox for another time, so back to the idea of being happy with those who are rejoicing, I've been challenging myself to eradicate the first "but what about me…" thought that naturally rear its head each and every time I encounter good news from a friend. It's sick and selfish to consider it but somehow...someway it's always my initial response to compare and contrast whatever is being discussed to my own life. If it's a problem I'll compare a similar experience to either cue the violins for a "woe is me spell" or if it's a solution, I'll question in my heart "when my sense of relief is arriving?"

Not only is it a waste to be so self-consumed but it's beyond draining because as life hits the fan, which it is guaranteed to do if I'm only focusing on myself how do I ever expect to progress ahead? I've been pondering this a lot lately as I've been travelling through some valleys within my own life and what I've concluded is that sometimes the rays of light in the lives of those around me, maybe the only glimpse of sunshine that I experience; and if my only hope and motivation has to come from the good measure of another than that's OK!

The power behind rejoicing with those that rejoice is the acknowledgment that God is working in that person's situation, and while we know gratitude is always a good idea I'd take it a step further and say that in my opinion, it's one of many ways to captivate God's heart. I hope that this is making sense because I believe that by celebrating another's win not only are you taking the attention off of what is or isn't occurring in your life, but you're also planting a seed of hope and faith within the universe.

Although this is challenging it's something worth the practice and it's most certainly something that I wish I would've started working on much sooner. There's something to be said for those who can look beyond their own circumstance to encourage someone around them and those that put good intentions out are definitely certain to receive blessings in return. For those, like myself that are tired of their own dread, try celebrating someone's win! Even if you can't believe that similar will happen for you practice celebrating them anyway simply because it's the right response to have!

Remember, just because life happens to you doesn't mean it's all about you and your situation. There are others struggling and working towards greater just like yourself and there's enough space for us to all bloom... so move over and make room!