5 Ways To Be A Better Feminist

5 Ways To Be A Better Feminist

No matter if you are just dipping your toes into the waters of feminism or consider yourself to be a rather seasoned activist, there are always ways to be better allies within our communities.

649
5 Ways To Be A Better Feminist
Kaylynn Rae Photography

As a feminist and as a woman, there is something so magical about International Women's Day and the whole month of March in general. I am so proud to be able to champion for women's rights and gender equity in my daily life and so much of my identity is wrapped up in the label of "feminist". But as I have progressed on my journey of labeling myself a feminist, I have also realized that there is always room for improvement. Many people are content in the influence that feminism has on their daily lives but if you are looking to bring more feminism into your daily life, here are five things that make me a better feminist.

Be an intersectional feminist

For many of you, this is an obvious and seamless facet to your definition of feminism. When I first started learning about what it truly means to be a feminist, I was surprised to see just how far I had to go on my journey of societal enlightenment.

To me, intersectional feminism means advocating for the rights of all people, not just women. Yes, women's rights are absolutely one of the forefronts of my feminism but I would be doing my community a great disservice if I failed to recognize the great need for intersectionality in modern feminism. Intersectional feminism focuses on advocating for women, people of color, the disabled community, the LGBTQ+ community, and all other marginalized identities.

When we fight, we fight for all.

Support local feminist/social justice organizations

Now I realize that this is easier said than done, but I'm going to give you a few ways that you totally can support your local feminists even if you think that you can't. I know in high school, I lived in a very small town and thought that I just had to keep my feminism under wraps until I moved to a city with a more liberal presence. Supporting local change can manifest in a variety of ways. If you are able to attend marches and rallies, absolutely go for it!

But if not, support your local social justice organizations even if that is just buying a sticker and putting it on your laptop. And if you truly cannot afford to support monetarily, support via social media by being an active follower. In our digital society, an active social media presence is vital.

Support Women Operated + Owned

Similar to the last point, if you are able to, support women/minority operated and owned whenever possible. It is extremely hard to run a business, more so if you are already at a disadvantage because you are part of a marginalized community. By purchasing goods from their businesses, you are validating their identity and existence within your community.

I truly believe that you vote with your dollar. And every time you purchase a sticker from Culture Flock or get eco-friendly goodies at the Soap Refill Station, you are directly supporting badass, women entrepreneurs in your community. Not to mention, you are supporting your local economy and getting higher quality products than buying from large corporations!

Attend Local Marches/Rallies/Events

Although this one isn't very original, it's SO important. I know that when I lived in a small town, marches were nonexistent. But if you are at all able, even if you do have to travel a bit, support at these marches really does make a big difference. Especially if you live in a smaller or more conservative town.

The first rally that I ever went to made it on the news! And it was a relatively small rally that reached a little over 50 people. And I have to tell you, I was terrified when I went to my first protest. I was new to the area and knew literally nobody there.

But, I did the scary thing and I met some amazing people and was immediately welcomed with open arms. Little did I know that my nerves and mild discomfort would lead to me meeting someone who I would eventually intern for and amazing friends that will last a lifetime.

Educate yourself

This is one aspect of feminism that never ends. As I have become more aware of the world around me, I have realized just how much more I have to learn. And while that can seem disheartening to some, I find it more humbling than anything. There is always more to learn about the history of marginalized groups, current events, and how we can be better allies and citizens. I often encounter many people who say that they aren't into politics because they are uneducated and while that is understandable, it's not an excuse.

The thing about being a feminist is that while you don't know everything, you try to make the world a better place. I noticed this a lot with lobbying. People were not at all confident and felt ill-equipped but our politicians are not experts on every issue. And when you are talking to people with adverse opinions to you, there is a good chance that you have the upper hand with just a little bit of research.

And, to quote a beautiful woman, writer, and feminist, Maya Angelou "When we know better, we do better".

No matter where you are at on your feminist journey, I applaud you. It takes such courage to stand out in what you believe regardless of if that is putting a planned parenthood sticker on your water bottle or protesting loudly on the steps of the capitol. My dear feminists, we see you, we love you, and we need you; now perhaps more than ever.