19 Baylor MUSTS Before You Graduate

19 Baylor MUSTS Before You Graduate

You can't leave Waco before you do it!

1476
19 Baylor MUSTS Before You Graduate

I am (finally) starting my last semester at Baylor! I'm stressed, scared and anxious. However, I'm also excited, hopeful and ready! While I spend these last few months in Waco, I'm finally getting around to all of the things that I said I would do before I left.

From fountain hopping to Ms. Mei, here are the 19 things you have to do before you graduate from Baylor.

1. Fountain hopping.

This is a Baylor classic. Most of our fountains are shallow enough (or completely flat) to run through, so put on your best Baylor tee, Nike shorts, and Chacos and jump on in. This activity is best done with a few of your line camp or welcome week friends.

2. Tortilla tossing.

Yup, I'm starting with the most cliche activities I could think of. When you go to downtown Waco, be sure to check out the beautiful Waco suspension bridge. Next to it, you can see two giant pillars that used to carry a train track but are now used as targets for Baylor students who throw tortillas at them. If your tortilla lands on one of these pillars, you will marry someone you met at Baylor!

3. Take a class for fun.

This has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. I decided to become a Great Texts minor because of my love for reading and classics, and I have loved every single class. It is a great way to explore your passions and develop them. Who knows, it may change your potential career path.

4. Climb the Alico building.

This building is one of the tallest in central Texas and is the tallest in Waco. Its picturesque, towering look begs to be climbed!

5. Go to Dr. Pepper Hour.

Free dessert! This is a great Baylor tradition that has been around almost as long as Baylor has. If you go ten times, you get a free mug and your name goes on the wall in the SUB for years to come.

6. Take a spontaneous trip to a big Texas city.

Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are all 1-3 hours away. Take advantage of your proximity to major cities and travel! I can't count the number of times my friends and I have decide to go on a trip the day we take it. Always worth the drive.

7. Enjoy a cookie from Ms. Mei.

These cookies are only available in Memorial Dining Hall. Ms. Mei is not only a kind, incredible person, but her cookies are just as warm and sweet. Pro-tip: fill a to-go box with them and save them for later.

8. Sit on Judge Baylor's lap.

This is one of those Baylor traditions that everyone does, but no one really knows why. Regardless, be sure to make your way in front of Waco Hall and take a picture with our founder.

9. Play in the water at the marina.

At the marina, Baylor students get unlimited FREE access to kayaks, canoes, and other things that would usually have a high hourly cost.

10. Attend Church Under the Bridge.

This church encompasses the primary reasons I went to Baylor: Christ and service. It is just what it sounds like — a Christian church service held underneath a bridge. The founders of the church wanted the relatively large homeless population to feel like they had a place they could go for service without sticking out. Free food is offered for those who need it, and the word of God flows through the community of worshipers that attend. Whether or not church is part of your weekly routine, this experience is bound to make you appreciate life in a new light.

11. Attend a show by the Baylor Theatre Department.

Baylor University has one of the most talented performing arts programs in the world. You will not regret attending a show here! If you have the opportunity, take the two-hour "theater appreciation" course to get free tickets.

12. Go check out the Bobo Center.

I know this may shock you, but Christian Texans are not the only people who go to Baylor. The Bobo Spiritual Life Center embraces the differences that make us unique by leading the cross-cultural and interfaith dialogue on campus. To get a free dinner and a first-hand look at the work that the Bobo is doing, attend "neighbor night" every Tuesday at 7 p.m.!

13. Go hammocking.

This is a college classic. Baylor has plenty of trees and beautiful places to relax, so grab a friend on a sunny day and relax in your hammock.

14. Befriend a professor.

Baylor professors are known for being kind, helpful and compassionate. I highly encourage you to attend the office hours of one or more of your professors to get to know them on a personal level. They will help you greatly in your career and your life if you give them the chance.

15. Befriend someone who is NOTHING like you.

This is for the ones who say "I have a Hindu friend (on Facebook), I'm cultured!" My response to you is this: closing yourself off from everyone who has grown up in different circumstances as you will only lessen your college (and life) experience. Some of the most incredible people I have ever met grew up in different countries, socioeconomic backgrounds, and religions than me. As humans, it is completely natural to hesitate with things that are different than what you're used to. However, once you let down that barrier you open your life to be more fulfilling. You don't know what you're missing!

16. Participate in the Bearathon.

This is known as "The toughest half [marathon] in Texas." If you like running you won't want to miss this! It is inexpensive to register and worth every penny. AND, for those of you who are hesitant, they also have a 5K!

17. Sit on a green and gold swing.

This is another Baylor tradition that involves marriage and has a questionable origin. If you sit on a swing with a special someone at least three times, you are destined to marry them. Even if you're not going for that "ring by spring," it's fun to do anyway.

18. Become a leader in a student organization.

I would not have found my Baylor family without joining Delta Sigma Pi, a professional business fraternity. Through this organization, I have met some of the most brilliant, driven and talented individuals at Baylor, and I haven't regretted a second of my membership or leadership. It has also exposed me to a vast network of alumni and networking opportunities that have helped me get a job!

19. Graduate!

Just do it.