Some Vital Aspects Of Baylor Football To Keep An Eye On This Offseason

The offseason is where championship teams are made.

100
Wiki Commons

This upcoming season will be incredibly telling for Matt Rhule and the Baylor program. After winning only one game to Kansas last year, the team is trying to piece together a respectable season. Here are 4 things to look for this offseason.

1. The QB Battle

Charlie Brewer will look to maintain his place as QB1 as freshman Gerry Bohanon tries to take the job. Bohanon is a 4-star dual threat out of Arkansas but is most likely to redshirt and spend a year learning under Brewer. It would still be fun to watch a fight for the starting job though.

2. Byron Hanspard II

Hanspard is one of Rhule’s crown jewel recruits. His father played in the NFL as a running back and passed his athletic abilities down to his son. Hanspard II is a 4-star recruit out of DeSoto High school and is one of the perfect leaders for this Baylor locker room. From just following Hanspard II on Twitter, I’m confident that his leadership and Christian mentality will be displayed for the next 4 years.

3. Wide Receiver Health

Baylor had an absolutely atrocious time with injuries last year. Star receiver Chris Platt went down early with a knee injury, R.J. Sneed had a season-ending leg injury, and Pooh Stricklin took a knock to the foot. With all these players back, the Bear’s receiving core looks lethal, but it will be a major question of recovery and maintenance for these guys.

4. Running Back Health

Injuries happen, but the amount of injuries that the running backs took became a little ridiculous. Terence Williams, JaMycal Hasty, Dru Dixon, John Lovett, and Tristan Ebner all took some form of an injury this past season. Obviously, this can't be the case this offseason or Rhule may have to start signing random kids jogging on treadmills at the SLC.