Basketball Made Me My Best Self Possible, On And Off The Court

Basketball Gave Me The Competitive Spirit I Needed To Thrive Off The Court

Although I still cannot dribble a basketball without fumbling it or touch the basketball net after my highest jump, basketball led me to become the superstar version of me.

219
Basketball sitting on a basketball court

Like the majority of people, sports grew to be a significant part of my life. Ever since I was introduced to kickball and four-square in second grade, I found myself loving the natural competition that came with even the most basic sports. However, as I grew older, my relation with sports changed drastically compared to others.

No, I did not suffer a critical injury. Rather, I simply was never athletic and tall enough to compete in any sport. Being physically incapable to keep up with many of my friends and peers, I was forced to transition myself from the competitor to the observer. Disappointed with my reality, I felt a disconnect from the world, that I was in the significant majority that could never find fulfillment and enjoyment from sports ever again.

Enter basketball.

Like many casual fans, I grew attracted towards basketball because of superstars such as Kobe Bryant and Paul Pierce. However, what really made me a hardcore lover of the sport is how basketball is a game of the "little things."

Don't get me wrong now... the earth-shattering dunks, clutch last-second shots, and other eye dazzling plays made on a nightly basis were exhilarating to watch. However, studying every second of the game was intriguing because every development that occurred in each match called for meticulous attention to detail to create perfect execution. I honed in on aspects such as examining footwork, body positioning, decision making, and various other attributes. Eventually, I realized that it was these small yet significant features that explained how and why exceptional players became successful while others did not.

This newfound detail-oriented mindset naturally transitioned from just basketball games to my personal life. The mentality basketball brought to my life helped bring focus to my habits and routines and whether they genuinely benefited me or not. Soon enough, I went through massive changes in how I studied, did my chores, approached new people, and so much more. Despite the difficulty that came with these vast revisions, my new lifestyle allowed me to solve both complex and uncomplicated problems through the "the little things."