Banishing Writer's Block

Banishing Writer's Block

For all those times when you want to write, but the words just won't come out.

19
Banishing Writer's Block
condesign

Creative writing is one of the best ways to express yourself, whether you're doing it for fun or just to vent. Anybody can be a writer, and all it takes is a pen, some paper, and a healthy imagination. But sometimes, even though you have the motivation to write, you simply can't get the words out of your pen. Here's a few ways to knock that writers's block!

1. Read another book.

A lot of inspiration can be pulled from other authors' writing. Take your favorite book off the shelf, or pick up something that you've never read before, and take notes on what you do and don't like about the author's writing style. Not only will this get your mind working, but by learning what you like and dislike as a reader, you can better craft your own style.

2. Clean your work space.

A cluttered desk equals a cluttered mind. Take a few moments to clear the trash off your desk, straighten out the books and papers, and maybe test all the pens in your cup to make sure they all work. If that's not enough, reorganize the icons on your desktop. If you keep a collection of separate pages for your writing, you may want to take some time to move everything into a binder or copy your work into a clean notebook.

3. Stop writing.

I know that it may be the last thing you want to do, but staring at a blank page and wracking your brain won't help you find your muse any faster. Take a break and take a walk around the house or around the block. When you get your blood pumping, your brain will start working a little bit faster and that should pull you out of the sludge you're working through.

4. Look up prompts.

There are countless blogs on tumblr that serve no purpose other than to bring you fresh writing prompts that you can easily slip your pre-existing characters into. An entirely new setting can be just the thing you need to develop your characters and learn more about them. Or, if you're looking for a fresh endeavor, you can create brand new characters for the prompts! The sky is the limit, and a prompt provides you with the fuel you need to reach that limit.

5. Find a new location.

Sometimes all you need to is move; take your laptop or notebook to the next room, to the local park, or even just to your front porch, weather permitting. Trying to find a space that's chock full of lush plant life can be especially helpful; the oxygen from the plants will revitalize your tired brain, and the color green promotes creativity. If you're unable to move for any reason at all, try sitting or laying in a different position. Play around with different font styles in your word processor, even if you go back to the original font you had picked out. Doing something to change up your environment could be all you need to get your hamster wheel turning.

6. Rewrite the last 100 words.

Make a copy of your document and delete the last hundred (or couple hundred) words, even if this means you stop in the middle of a sentence. Go back a few paragraphs and read what you have down, and then start writing again. Rewrite what you had before, or take things in an entirely different direction. Recreating your momentum can push you right through a sticky scene and right into the next one! To avoid getting stuck in the future, I recommend writing at least the next two sentences of the next paragraph or chapter so that you aren't left at a wall.

Writer's block usually comes and goes on its own, but sometimes, it takes a firm shove to get the gears in your head moving. With any luck, the above tips will help you reduce your writer's block to a pebble that you can easily kick aside on your path to a finished piece!