5 Things You Learn To Love As A Baltimore Girl In The South

A city girl turned on to living local.

288
Baltimore Sun

While many things in the sunny state of North Carolina are quite similar to those in my beloved home state of Maryland, I think it is safe to say many things are different. Obviously one can assume anyone's transition from a tiny, Catholic, all-girls high school up north to a bigger, co-ed, liberal arts university down south would be quite a significant one. However, I have found myself pleasantly surprised at the many things I am learning and beginning to love. Let's talk about a few.

1. Southern Hospitality

While it is arguable that Maryland is technically considered a southern state due to its geographic placement below the Mason Dixon Line, in comparison to most of my classmates, Maryland is considered north. During the few short weeks I have spent here at school, I have come in contact with some of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met. I have yet to run ahead to try to catch the door before it closes because I know that someone is ahead waiting to hold the door open for me. In addition, the chefs at all of our dining halls could not be any nicer and never fail to address me as "ma'am" despite me being significantly younger than them. Let me tell you this: southern charm is 100% real and it is hard not to love it.

2. The Word "Y'all"

I realize this may sound stereotypical, but the word, "Y'all," is used so much more than you would believe. In fact, I have heard it so many times, that it has become a part of my daily vocabulary. For a word that has such an open-ended and general meaning, I can't remember how I functioned without it. Not only does it remove the gender-specific connotation of saying "guys," but it is also just an easy way to address a large group of people. Y'all will catch on soon.

3. The Weather

To give some perspective on how truly lovely the weather is here, I thought I'd report on the temperature here in the last few days of September and the first few days of October (aka what I usually call Fall). We ended last week with lows of 83 and highs of 90, and rang in the new month with highs of 83 and lows of 75. Do you know what that means? It means we are still talking about sundresses, sandals, the pools still being open, and doing our homework outside.

4. New Restaurants

During my overnight orientation in the summer before my freshman year, I was blessed to have met a friend who was born and raised in the town of High Point, North Carolina. In attempts to make me feel welcomed, she took me on a tour of the town that she knew so well and introduced me to something I can't believe I lived for 17 years without: Cookout. For a low price of only $5 you can get yourself a main course (quesadillas or chicken tenders are a personal favorite of mine), 2 sides (double fries is the way to go), and a drink or milkshake. Sometimes after a long day, my friends and I will pile into the car and head to Cookout to enjoy an entire meal, whereas other times a cookies & cream milkshake is all I need. While Cookout is one of my favorite new additions to my diet, Krispy Kreme and Bojangles also deserve an honorable mention. Pure sugary glaze is the only way I can think to describe a Krispy Kreme donut and let me tell you it is just as amazing as it sounds.

5. Snowballs don't exist here, but Cheerwine definitely does.

I was actually appalled the first time I brought up my craving for a refreshing snowball and no one knew what I was talking about. No, it is not the same thing as shaved ice, Hawaiian ice, a snow-cone, or Italian ice. A snowball arrives in a styrofoam cup full of shaved ice and drenched in artificial flavoring. 9/10 times, it is also covered in a marshmallow-syrup topping. However, with all of this being said, I was even more appalled when I was first introduced to Cheerwine. Similar to a Shirley Temple, this drink is a cherry-flavored soda that simply only exists in the south. I have yet to meet someone born here that isn't absolutely obsessed with it.

Overall, the state of North Carolina is a pretty amazing one and I am so thankful to be introduced to all of these new things. I am learning so many traditions and catching on to these lifestyles however at the end of the day, you can take the girl out of Maryland but you'll never take the Maryland out of the girl!