How To Be Ballin' On A Budget This Holiday Season

Save money AND you dignity: You don't have to lose yourself in a mob of shoppers to get a deal!

19

The holidays are a joyous time, but can also be a HUGE drain on your budget. Our collective demand as consumers reaches its peak. Black Friday and other holiday deals can be especially tempting, making you think you're getting a great deal which in turn causes you to spend even more. Listen, I've fallen prey to every gimmick out there, and am here to help you maximize your holiday fund while keeping your sanity somewhat intact. Here are some tips and tricks.

Give yourself a limit.

It's every girl's dream to walk into a mall with an unlimited credit card, but unfortunately, that dream is a reality for no one. No matter how much money you have, you should never give yourself free reign to casually spend money frivolous money, unless you want to end up with an excessive wardrobe and ...well, nothing else. Many people keep themselves in line by allocating a certain amount in their monthly budget for shopping, but it can even be as simple as telling yourself that you're not permitted to spend more than $X when you go into a store. If you're shopping with friends, ask them to keep you accountable for this! In my experience, it works well.

On that token...maybe shopping with friends isn't such a good idea.

I'm a weirdo--I see shopping as more of a recharging time for me than a social event, and thus usually prefer shopping alone. An even better reason for me to shop alone I actually end up spending less. When I'm out with friends, I'm more easily swayed to buy something out of my price range because, though I only tried it on for fun, they might convince me that I look awesome and can't pass it up. The realistic, common-sense voice in my head is often clouded. My friends know I have a tendency to be a penny-pincher and try to get me to "live a little", and I often comply because "it's just this once" and "I want to have a fun bonding time with my friends, it's a special occasion, yada yada yada." It's tempting to indulge because you want to have fun, and it's fine to do so once in a while, but I find in general that I can better stay focused and on track when I'm alone. However, I realize that not everyone is like this: some people need friends to keep their spending in check. It really comes down to whatever works best for you.

Recognize the psychology behind your spending, and watch out for it.

Companies look to sell you experiences, not just products. They want to cater to your emotions so that you associate their product with that satisfaction. It's pure genius or pure evil, depending on how you look at it! For example, when I buy Starbucks, it isn't typically because I need a pick-me-up or because I want a sugary treat. It's because Starbucks has branded itself so that it seems a classy option that promotes community. I seldom buy Starbucks by myself; I buy it when I'm with friends because it's part of the experience of being together. Okay, the chestnut praline latte is pretty great, but even that is not worth $5--I'm paying for the experience. Nothing like walking around the city, coffee in hand, friends beside you. Be on the lookout for this all over the place during Christmas time, a season full of tradition, nostalgia, and emotion. Companies will try to play on your feelings and desire to have fulfilling experiences.

Watch out for sales that aren't really sales.

Sometimes products are marked up only to go on "sale" at whatever price they would normally sell at. This is because consumers like thinking they're getting a good deal. Nothing beats the rush of getting something awesome on sale, right? You've got to objectively look at the price and evaluate whether or not you can get a better deal elsewhere. How does it compare to similar items in other stores? Don't assume that, just because something's on sale, it's a steal.

Know when it's important to buy brand-name.

Everyone wants brand name items, whether it be the status or quality associated with them. It's important to think critically about these purchases. I like to save money by only buying big-name brands for daily wardrobe staples, like a coat or purse, that get high visibility and appreciation. Middle-road labels are good for statement pieces that are anchors in your personal style. More bohemian? Shop at American Eagle. Preppy chic? Ralph Lauren it is. These brands of clothing all cater to a certain image,so go there when looking for items that define your wardrobe. When it comes to basics like leggings, tank tops, v-necks, tank tops, flannels, stud earrings, etc: why splurge? Nobody's going to know/care what brand they are, so don't waste your money. These items are stylistically neutral The same goes for cosmetics. Nobody's going to know whether you're wearing OPI or Sinful Colors nail polish, so why spend all the extra cash? Honestly, my $2 Jordana eyeliner from Walgreens works wonderfully; I would never think to spend the $20+ to buy the Stila equivalent at Sephora. Clearly, some companies have higher quality than others, but the difference isn't usually as big as you'd think. All I'm saying is, don't think you need the newest and most expensive thing to look fly!

Oh, and don't be suckered into buying something JUST because it's brand-name and on sale. I remember in middle school, almost getting a hideous Juicy Couture Tracksuit because it was on clearance. Let me tell you, there was a REASON it was on clearance: it was atrocious, even more than your average Juicy tracksuit. I had a lot to learn about personal style vs. blindly following what's popular, but even more than that, I was almost going to settle for something I didn't even like, just because of its label. Don't be like 11-year old Juliana...put the velour jacket down and back away slowly.

Clearance.

On the other hand, the clearance rack is an amazing place to shop. You can get some really cool things that are out-of-season to stock up for next year. You can also find some on-trend things that somehow ended up there! My favorite thing about the clearance rack is the fact that things are discounted because they're not things that everyone in the store wants. This means you're going to get pieces that are unique, have character, and stand out! What can compare to the rush of finding the perfect item priced at $7.99? Nothing!

Only buy things you are going to wear.

A good rule of thumb? In the dressing room, think of three different outfits or ways to wear the item that's up to bat. If you can't, then it won't be a very good asset to your wardrobe and unless you need it for a specific purpose, you shouldn't spend money on it. We all have those things that have never been worn but we couldn't seem to pass up in the store!

Thrift stores.

The wardrobe basics I was talking about earlier (leggings, v-necks, tank tops) can be found SO MUCH CHEAPER at your local Salvation Army. Because these items are fundamentals that never go out of style, there will always be a wide variety to choose from. You can also find many unique and vintage items for just a few dollars, as well as pieces to experiment with for DIY's.

NOTE: Stores like Plato's Closet are NOT true thrift shops...they're more like rip-off shops that pay you pennies on the dollar and then grossly inflate the selling price. I mean...this business model totally makes sense and I secretly think it's a great idea, but I'm personally still salty that I got a measly $6 return on an entire bag of clothes I brought in over the summer. In all seriousness, though, you really don't get that great of a deal. They're banking on you being wooed by the difference between the (overestimated) retail price and their selling price, tricking you into thinking you're getting a deal when in reality you're still paying a lot. Stick to thrift shops; you can often find the same clothes for much cheaper.

Keep Your Closet Moving.

In order to avoid an excess of clothes you don't wear, make sure you're constantly cleaning out your closet and donating items you no longer wear. Not only does this help those in need, but it also helps you only have what you need. Why keep that now-outdated sleeveless blouse from 2013 when you know you're never going to wear it? All it's doing is taking up a hanger. When you get rid of things that no longer suit your every-changing style, you don't have to feel guilty for overstuffing your closet.

Have any tips that you live by? Please share, and happy shopping!