Baghali Polo In An Instant Rice World

Baghali Polo In An Instant Rice World

A look at extremism in the wake of the Orlando Massacre.

6
Baghali Polo In An Instant Rice World
96.5 Bob FM

On June 12, 2016, a nation was rocked in an act of terror against a community in Orlando, Florida. It was an early morning at Pulse Nightclub when an act of terror, one man taking fire on hundreds of men and women in an LGBT club, celebrating life, sexuality, and freedom, created chaos and destruction. With 50 killed and more wounded, a night that was once safe and fun became filled with horror thanks to a man with a gun. This man was mentally unstable and destructive, an extremist who felt his action was necessary.

Omar Mateen was an extremist, claimed by ISIS, who followed Islam. However, he was also mentally ill and in no way embraced the Quran's teachings or a Muslim lifestyle. People fail to realize that the same extremism prompting Omar and others alike can be seen in numerous other religions. Yes, ISIS does hold claim as an Islamic group. They are based in the middle east and they do act in "religious ways." However, they are not the same Islamic people that walk American streets, who worship in peace, and who love unconditionally.

This past spring I had the honor of attending a traditional Persian New Year with my Muslim family. My grandparents were flown in from Iran and talked to me solely in Persian. My aunt had the table set with goldfish and tokens to remind the family of the New Year and Persian culture, our shoes were to be taken off, our minds to be thankful and observant of the family around us. I watched my grandmother pray at the table in traditional garb before scooping up a bite of the traditional dish, Baghali Polo, a rice dish that is a staple for many Iranian families. The day was centered around peace; we watched my uncle's wedding videos, held hands, talked, and discussed the attack in Brussels, an event that my family was as heartbroken over, if not more than, anyone else. There was another layer to this sadness because my grandparents knew their flight back to Tehran would now be harder, just as everyone else knew the target upon them, us, would be even greater as Persian Americans. I, myself, am not a practicing Muslim, however, much of my family is, and even those of us who are not actively Muslim, do respect and honor our family and the culture we come from.

The Orlando Massacre was extreme because it was the act of an extremist, not the traditional Islamic family portrayed before. Contrary to popular belief, Islam is not the problem and neither are Muslims. Many religions see the extremist behavior. History has proven time and time again that humans will act regardless of effect or reason. The Christians lead the Crusades, killing an estimated 1.7 million people in their conquest for Jerusalem. Even Hitler, who killed Jews was at one time in love with a Jewish woman. Parts of Africa, which often hold Christian values near, practice rape and genital mutilation as a coming of age ritual for teens. Jonestown saw the death of over 900 people after being told to, thus dying at the hand of their leader. Stories are often shared by Catholics sending gay children to camps to "pray the gay away."

With such acts in history still holding true effect, why is it that all Muslims take the heat for the acts of a few? Do all communes take blame for Jonestown? Are all Christians at fault for the crusades? No, of course not, these were an act of few, not all. Americans love drinking the media's Kool-Aid, buying into the hateful thought of Muslims when so few actually are violent. Those are the extremists. With many Muslims simply praying over Baghali Polo, maybe you could do the same over your instant rice. At least contemplate who is committing such crimes and know that people around the globe mourn with you. Gay Muslims, straight Muslims, allies, blacks, whites, atheists, Christians, Catholics, Jews, hippies, businessmen, the poor, the rich, the homeless, and all sorts of labeled people are mourning, because in the end all we have is our humanity.