10 Badass Fictional Female Characters That Put 'Power' In 'Empowerment'

Because we all need a little inspiration.

122

Standing up for ourselves is something us women do best. We have shown that we are capable of taking care of a family (dragon family, in the case of Daenerys Targaryen), we are capable of working hard, and we are capable of fighting for what we believe in. But, female empowerment is more than just fighting for equal rights and abolishing stereotypes, it is about women sticking together and accepting each other, flaws and all. Because nobody's perfect.

These characters not only inspire me to be a better, more confident person, but they also showed me that I am valuable and I can do anything I put my mind to, despite the role society gives me.

10. Phoebe Buffay "Friends"

Not only was Phoebe a fun loving, down to earth (and a little ditsy) person, she always spoke her mind and was confident with her body. She was not afraid to be sexy or to feel good in her skin. She would approach men without even thinking a second thought. We should all be a little more like Phoebe: give fewer craps and have more fun.

9. Donna Pinciotti from "That '70s Show"

Donna has the confidence. She was never scared to like what she liked and never took any crap. All of the boys loved her because she was so honest and kind. She had big dreams to get out of town and do something with her life, even during a time when women were oppressed. We love you, Donna. You go girl.

8. Cheryl Blossom from "Riverdale"

Cheryl Blossom, a little evil and a little brilliant. She fights for what she wants and she usually gets her way. Despite all of the terrible things that have happened to her, like her father killing her brother, casual, she always seems to rise up. She doesn't crack under pressure or shy away from what she believes in. She goes for it.

7. Eleven from "Stranger Things"

Eleven knows whats up. She uses her dank powers to squash all the people who did her wrong. She is also fiercely loyal to her friends and always uses her powers for good. Although she is still young, she has the confidence of many years. Her boyish clothes and short hair bring out her carefree and rebellious nature, yet she still embraces her feminine side. She does not conform to society's representation of a girl, that is why everyone loves her. Plus, who doesn't love Mike and Eleven?

6. Hermione Granger from "Harry Potter"

Hermione was one of the first strong female characters I was exposed to. Back in the day, she taught me that I can be smart, feminine, and powerful. She usually outwitted the boys, and was the most brilliant witch in her school and was proud of it. I would just like to say thanks to Hermione for inspiring me to never lose faith in myself and teaching me that its Leviosa, not Leviosaaaaa.

5. Princess Leia from "Star Wars"

From what I can gather from my sources i.e. the "Friends" episode where Ross wants Rachel to dress up like Leia in the golden bikini, both guys and girls were obsessed with this character. She was one of the first strong, female leads and she is still one of the most iconic. Not only was Leia so beautiful even her brother has a crush on her, spoiler alert, but she was outspoken and never afraid of danger. She stuck to her guns and was an inspiration to many young girls. We will never forget Leia.

4. Claire Fraser from "Outlander"

This show has a special place in my heart, not many young people watch it, but they really should. I am reading the books and the things Claire does still amaze me. Not only was she a nurse during WWII and a doctor during the 1970's, the only women in her class, but she also survived going back in time to the 1700's. She can literally survive anything and uses her intelligence, wit, and a little luck to get out of dangerous situations. She has lived in many different time periods, time periods where women were treated as less than equal, but she never changed. She was always her strong, clever self.

3. Daenerys Targaryen from "Game of Thrones"

This quote sums up Daenerys. She has evolved throughout the show from a timid child to a strong-willed and determined woman. She is not scared to get her hands dirty and will not tolerate people disobeying her. She has every man in Westeros swooning at her feet, even Jon Snow, and she represents the full power of women. Her strategic plans and careful choice of subjects will allow her to rise to the top as a female leader. I'm rooting for you, Dani.

2. Elizabeth Bennet from "Pride and Prejudice"

The O.G. of women empowerment. Not only is Lizzie iconic because of her resilience to marry for herself, but she also had the most Gregorian sass. She pretty much-roasted everyone who tried to challenge her, men and women. She was beautiful, strong-willed, and confident. She has inspired many young women to follow their heart and to never shy away from their true feelings. Even during the modern era her thoughts still ring true.

1. Diana Prince from "Wonder Woman"

Name a more badass character. That's right, you can't. Diana Prince has kicked butt and kept up with her male counterparts for many decades. She has some mad fighting skills and can demolish anything in her way, but she always chooses good. She knows she is a boss and has never shied away from it. She is my spirit animal.