You're not always going to have a good roommate.

You Aren't Always Going To Be Best Friends With Your First College Roommate

She might have drove me crazy, but I'm still thankful I lived with her.

122

One year ago, I was getting ready to go off to college. I was buying my bedsheets from Target, looking at Pinterest for ideas about how I wanted to decorate my room, and trying to make the most of my summer. I was more than ready to go off and start this new chapter of my life.

When I found out who my roommates were, I did the typical, "oh let me find them on Instagram." I lived in a suite styled dorm room, so not only did I have one roommate, but I was going to be living with two other girls too. I messaged them to just introduce myself since we were all going to spend the next nine months together.

As the girl who I was going to be living with and I talked, the more I envisioned what the school year was going to be like. My roommate and I had a lot in common from reading to wanting to explore Philadelphia. We were also moving more than three hours away from home and even had similar knee problems. We texted the whole summer, talking about whatever and how excited we were to finally meet each other.

To say we were polar opposites when we actually met in person isn't an understatement. My parents left early when I was moving in since my dad got sick, and I wasn't going to force him to help me especially since they had to still drive back to Pittsburgh. My roommates' parents, on the other hand, stayed the whole time, which wouldn't have been an issue, if they did not keep joking, "oh I guess your parents were ready to get rid of you, huh?"

I tried hanging out with my roommate once they left by grabbing lunch, and it was the most awkward experience of my life. I asked her questions and if she wanted to do something around campus since it was Welcome Week, and I would hardly get more than two answer responses. I was frustrated. Why was the girl who I could easily text so hard to communicate with?

Throughout the school year, little things that she did irritated me. She never cleaned, always had music playing loudly when I tried to study, would be on FaceTime talking at two in the morning, and she was always in my dorm. I knew she couldn't help but the last one, but this girl didn't seem to go to class and always drank.

Sure, there were times when she did not seem like this monster of a person like when I partied too hard or when I simply needed tape. Yet, she would find a way to destroy whatever hope I had of forming a friendship by getting even drunker or talking about President Trump as "Daddy Trump." And yes, I'm not joking either.

Maybe I was a bit too hopefully when I thought we were going to click. I would see my classmates from high school getting close and posting pictures on Instagram, and my friends seemed to also be clicking with their roommates. Why wasn't I?

Now, looking back on it, I am grateful for this not so good roommate experience. It wasn't the worst even though there were times I wanted to rip my hair out like when she broke my trashcan and ripped my pillow. She's part of the reason why I decided to rush a sorority in the spring, so I could make more friends and get out of my dorm more. I also have a unique friendship with my one suitemate since we're not in the same sorority.

Thankfully, from this experience, I'm also going to be living with two girls this upcoming year who I get along really well and are frankly amazing. So, shoutout to my first roommate for leading me to my new, better roommates!