Back-To-School Shopping Essentials (ASU Edition)

A guide for freshmen.

19
ASU

Shorts
You will not be wearing long pants, leggings, jeans or anything that falls below mid-thigh (hello, Chubbies), until late October or mid-November, and even then you might still be wearing shorts. Just remember that you go to school in the desert, and that means it’s HOT. Also, if you're a guy, do not wear cargos, I shouldn't even have to explain this one, but just don't do it. Pack accordingly.

Sandals (girls only) and Sperrys

Boys, please don't come to college with your mandals. I know your feet will be hot, but nobody cares, and nobody wants to see your man feet, so please keep them hidden in the dark depths of your new Sperrys. Note: these will cause blisters at first, but real men wear Sperry, so suck it up.

ASU everything

This is ASU, home of the Sun Devils and the best student section at football games, The Inferno. Come prepared, and don’t pack lightly. We wear gold on Fridays, with exception to the Maroon Monsoon and Blackout games. If you didn’t come prepared, you’ll look like the one loser who doesn’t support our school. So don’t be that person. I’m sure your mom will stock up for you at the bookstore during move-in week with all the other unprepared freshman. Leave your high school sweatshirt at home, nobody cares where you went to high school, this is college. And whatever you do, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT wear anything related remotely to U of A. This is ASU, and we root for the Sun Devils and HATE the Wildcats.

Futon, bean bagag or other extra seating for your dorm room
My freshman year, I had a giant pink beanbag that I bought with some of my graduation money, and I was so excited to decorate my room with it. Turns out I didn’t really get to use my beanbag because everyone and their mother wanted to sit on it and would come to my room just to sit on it. But that’s okay because my room became the hangout spot for our floor. Provide seating, and they will come. Note: beanbags also make for a great bed when you can’t climb up to your own, and futons will mean that people will ask to sleep over so they don’t have to walk back to their dorm.

Blankets
Don’t be the idiot that thinks just because we live in Arizona that means the dorms will be hot. Guess what? They invited this thing called air conditioning, and it’s going to be on all year. If you’re super-lucky, like I am, your suitemates will control the air and keep it at 65 degrees the entire year, and you will freeze.

Costumes and themed clothing
You’re going to have to dress up for parties so plan accordingly. CEOs and Office Hoes, Luau and Jungle are all pretty popular, but you never know what you’ll have to dress up for so just bring it all.

Coffee machine or Keurig or other caffeine
You’re not going to want to spend your money at Starbucks every day, but you will need the caffeine. Bring your own coffee machine and make your own for late nights and early mornings. Or stock up on RedBull whenever you see a RedBull girl on campus.

Pretzels, Ritz, Saltines or anything that soaks up alcohol

Just keep these in your room at all times. You won’t regret it.

Condoms
This is ASU, guys, come on.

Personality
This is new for everyone, don’t forget that. Be outgoing and ready to make friends. Go meet the people in your hall and join organizations on campus. Go Greek! Talk to people in your classes and go to the dining hall in groups. Meet friends through your other friends. Be ready for a whirlwind of fun and the best time of your life. Be ready to cheer at Sun Devil Stadium, and be ready to melt on your way to class. Be ready to pull all nighters, both for studying and going out. Don’t forget that college is only four years. Make the most of it, and surround yourself with people who help you to do that. Don’t forget to have fun.

And don’t even bother bringing your dignity because you’re just going to lose it.