Back to College Survival Guide

Back to College Survival Guide

We're trying to make it out of here alive...
17

Now is the time that summer has sadly come to an end, and we are beginning yet another year of school. I honestly don't mind school; it gives me something to do during the day, I get to buy new school supplies, and you always learn something new every day. Of course, there are days when I don't feel like adulting and want to skip class, but there would be a lot more of those days if I didn't always come prepared for the day ahead. Without these items stowed away in my backpack, I wouldn't be able to make it out of class alive...

One of, if not the most important item in your arsenal is a pen. Not just any pen but your absolute favorite pen. We all know that we have that one special writing utensil that we love the most, but always seem to loose. I am an English Lit major so I am constantly writing and taking notes so having a pen is crucial, but not just any pen it has to write perfectly, dry quickly, and be a pretty color. Once I lose that pen (come on, we all knew it would happen) I feel like my notes will never look the same again.

Obviously, your favorite pen would be nothing without your favorite notebook, I mean they are best friends forever. I have several different notebooks for several different things. I have a notebook specifically for writing notes in during class, a notebook for to-do lists, a notebook for writing quotes or inspiring thoughts I hear throughout the day, and then I have a notebook for doodles when I get bored. As a writer, it's important to have a notebook on hand at all times, because you never know when a great idea will come to you and personally, if I don't write it down, it will be lost in my crazy 5-year-old brain forever. I don't really have specifications for what a notebook should be or look like -all of mine are different shapes and sizes. But when I see one that strikes my fancy, I can help buy it. I guess you would say that notebook collecting is my strange addiction. Also, something that you should note about me is I am very protective of said notebooks so...

I couldn't survive a day at school without my computer. Honestly, I'm sad to say that I couldn't really survive life without my computer. While I love handwriting my notes in my special notebook, sometimes it is easier to type in order to have more organized, more understandable notes. Using your computer is also great for scrolling through Tumblr when you're too bored to pay attention in lecture.

When you're stuck on campus all day, but you have about an hour break in between classes, what are you supposed to do? You're supposed to fill any spare time that you have eating super delicious (vegan) snacks, DUH! There is nothing worse than sitting in class and your peers can hear your stomach growling, so I stock up on some snacks that I can munch on throughout the day.

It is so important during the school year to stay organized and on top of all of you assignments, right? The only way that I can keep everything straight is my planner. I have to write down every assignment, every quiz, and every project that will take place during that year because knowing me and the way my brain works, if it's not written down, it won't get done. Surviving in college is next to impossible without a handy dandy planner.

Now that you've taken down all of your notes, aced that test, and finished all of your homework the last essential item is, of course, WINE. Literally, there is nothing better than finishing off your day with drinking wine from the bottle in your fuzzy pajamas. You've earned it!

If you have all of these things to keep you organized, sane, happy and drunk during the school year, I guarantee that you walk away with a 4.0 GPA... or at least a 3.0