'The Bachelor' Is Everything Wrong With America (And I Still Love Every Episode)

"This is something I look forward to every year and I'm ashamed of that...most of the time."

78
ABC

I am not sure what I hate more: the premise of "The Bachelor" or the fact that I absolutely love the show. Somehow, this show has been going on for 21 seasons now and has hooked millions of Americans for almost 15 years. There are people out there that get seriously into premiere parties with all of their friends and even some that place bets on the winner of the show. Also, the fact that I just talked about the winner of the show is one of the many awful things about "The Bachelor". This show has become a large part of many people's lives and I am not too sure how I feel about that. I am beating myself up because this freaking show has become a tradition for my friends and I, too! We find ourselves rooting for our favorites and absolutely hating whoever is portrayed as the villain on the show. I am sure you just thought of some of your own people that you love and hate, admit it. It is so entertaining and I can't get enough of watching everything from the out-of-hand drama to the hometown dates. This is something I look forward to every year and I'm ashamed of that...most of the time.

In case you haven't ever indulged yourself in an episode of "The Bachelor" yet, all you need to know is that there is a group of women or men all fighting for the attention of one person. For anyone who isn't a die-hard fan of "The Bachelor", I could totally see why they are disgusted by it. Why would these women or men actually sign up to fight 25 other people for one person to maybe find love with them? Why would they get engaged when they've known each other for a month? How can you be kissing all of these girls on the first night? I am sure you have many other questions on why people actually watch this show, but I don't think I could truly answer any of them. This show seems to focus on the worst aspects of the contestants, but that is what gets people to watch. So yes, you may think these are terribly awful people, but they know what they are signing up for, and things may not always be what they seem. However, for anyone who watched Olivia or Corinne, yikes. Just yikes.

While I do really enjoy watching this show, there are so many things that come to my mind while watching. Is this what real world dating is like or is this a last resort for all those people that just couldn't seem to find love? Also, how much money do they spend on alcohol for the show? Imagine if all of that alcohol money was saved and donated to a charity that actually mattered instead of instigating booze-fueled, catty fights between contestants. What a thought! On another note, the amount of embarrassment that I get from watching girls throw themselves at one man and doing anything to get his attention is too damn high. This season with Nick is especially cringe-worthy. My point is, yes I realize there are so many things wrong with this show, but it is still entertaining. Yes, you may view me differently because I love "The Bachelor", but please know I have never actually had the desire to be on the show. That is a whole different thing and is in no way for me.

For those of you that are up to speed on this particular season of "The Bachelor," I will tell you everything that is wrong with this season: Corinne. I absolutely cannot fathom why this 24 year old in particular gets under my skin so badly. Maybe it is the fact that she has a nanny. Yes, you heard that right. Maybe it is the fact that she calls macaroni and cheese "cheese pasta". It is girls like this that give the show its bad reputation, which is a shame because that is why a lot of people completely hate watching the show. There are a bunch of contestants that we have seen through the years that actually seem like amazing people! I mean, who didn't love Ben Higgins? All I am trying to say is that, yes, if you hate this show and wonder why people watch it, I get it. This won't stop me from watching it, though. Most of the time, it is a bad car accident that I just can't pull myself away from watching.

Now that I have acknowledged everything wrong with it, I am done apologizing for loving it. If you need me Monday, I'll be sitting in front of my TV waiting to see if Corinne actually punches someone. Happy watching!