Baby It's Cold Outside Is About Rape And It's About Time We Retired It

We Need To Take 'Baby It's Cold Outside' Off The Radio—Date Rape Isn't In The Holiday Spirit

It's just as bad as "Blurred Lines."

1598

I know that we've been saying it for years and years, but #TimesUp for "Baby It's Cold Outside."

I'm sure you've heard the basic argument at last year's Christmas party. TLDR; the lyrics to "Baby It's Cold Outside" promote rape culture.

I'm really sick and tired of the invented arguments invented by people who simply can't let the song go.

Yes, I understand that it's your favorite song from childhood. No, that doesn't make it unproblematic.

Let's walk through the basic arguments in favor of the song and the reasons I STILL think we need to cancel this song.

1. "But it's a classic and we can't have a Christmas album without it!" 

First used in the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter, "Baby It's Cold Outside" was an instant Christmas classic. It's been covered by countless famous duos and featured on every Christmas album known to man.

Sorry, just because a song has been around awhile doesn't make it good. Its inherent age is not a validation of its content. Date rape wasn't acceptable in 1949 and it's not acceptable now. It's not my fault that it took society so long to figure it out.

2. "But it's cute when children sing it!" 

The 2014 Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé version of "Baby It's Cold Outside" is notoriously cute. Two children sing the *modified* words to each other in a hotel lobby.

First, I think it's inappropriate to have children singing songs about drinking and sex. It's one thing to let your 5-year-old bop to Cardi B in the car, it's another to record children singing it. It perpetuates the idea that the song is for children. Which it is not.

Secondly, children are able to understand the basic idea of sex at age 5, but consent is a topic that often is touched on until later in their lives. So I hope you're ready to have a sex talk if you're playing this song around children.

3. "All of you social justice warrior snowflakes just can't handle it!"

I can handle nuance and I don't enjoy being a "fun sucker." However, I do enjoy encouraging healthy sexual relationships and discouraging dating violence. Therefore, songs about dating violence need to be canceled.

If you think SJW snowflakes are the worst ever, you'll especially hate Lydia and Josiah's version of "Baby It's Cold Outside" with modified conceptual lyrics.

4. "But...But... But! 'Baby It's Cold Outside' isn't about dating violence!'"

Yes. Yes, it is. Lyrics like "Say what's in this drink?" and "The answer is no" sound an awful lot like a bad situation.

As Marya Hannun from The Washington Post reminds us, there is historical context to the lyrics of the song. I accept that there is a potentially innocent explanation for the questionable lyrics. But that doesn't change the lesson it sends to young people. Unless you plan on passing the song every time it plays to talk about the historical context, it's doesn't change its rapey vibes.

Additionally, I think all versions of the song equally spread misinformation about dating violence. The typical male part is described as the "wolf" and the traditional female part is known as the "mouse." People often comment that the song is less rapey when the "wolf" part is sung by a female like with Lady Gaga and Joseph Gordon Levitt.

I couldn't disagree more and you can check out my thoughts on the importance of consent from all parties, all genders here.

5. "If we discontinue 'Baby It's Cold Outside,' where will it stop?"

Paint's 2014 roast of Christmas carols and political correctness is a great example of the criticism that often gets thrown at "Baby It's Cold Outside." You only need to check out the comment section to find people who are so sad about the state of political correctness in America.

I'm not here for it. Where will it stop, you ask? It isn't going to. Why? Because our whole society is based on the oppression of people. If you are looking for more information on equity and social justice you can learn about that here.

I will admit that "Baby It's Cold Outside" was my favorite holiday song before I experienced dating violence first hand. Now it makes me sick to my stomach to think of. For now, I'm in the search of a new fav.