7 Awesome Rappers For Anyone Looking To Get Into New Hip-Hop

A short list of this rap fanatic's favorite rappers for people who are interested in great hip hop music.

163

Is your music library sounding a little stale? Or perhaps you're just curious to see wht this avid hip hop fan has to say about some of the newer faces to find mainstream success in the rap game. Either way, this is the place for you: I will be discussing a few of my favorite new(ish) artists, as well as suggesting some of their best projects. I will also compare some of these rappers to well-known artists in the hope that fans may find a sound they already love.

1. Anderson .Paak

Anderson .Paak is the number-one hip-hop artist for people who are not quite sold on rap music. He is a part of The Free Nationals and together they form a rather conventional band: .Paak is the vocalist and drummer, and he plays along with a guitarist, bassist, and keyboard player. They produce a smooth synthesis of R&B and hip-hop that makes the staunchest critics of rap admit, “wow, that actually sounds like music.” He has been around longer than many people realize, first performing under the stage name Breezy Lovejoy, and then under the band name NxWorries. Fans of Stevie Wonder and Otis Redding, as well as anyone with an open mind, will enjoy .Paak’s music. Those wishing to listen to him should look up his albums "Venice" and "Malibu,"as well as "Yes Lawd!," an album by Anderson .Paak and a producer named DJ Knxwledge.

2. Chance the Rapper.

This Chicago vocalist has built quite the buzz this year off of his mixtape (we will discuss the evolving meaning of the word “mixtape” in a future post) "Coloring Book/Chance 3." In my eyes, Chance the Rapper is an incredible story of an indie star who actually made it big. His pure voice rains down on popular music from the hip-hop heavens, -- an artist with an eclectic style seemingly enabled by his indie status. An artist whose fame came not from one-hit-wonder singles or for dating someone famous; he is an artist who is known for his art. His vocal style has a certain spoken-word style cadence to it, which compliments his spectacular story-telling abilities. If you’re looking to listen to his best music, listen to "10 Day," "Acid Rap," and "Coloring Book."

3. Joey Bada$$

A young and ambitious voice rising out of Brooklyn, Joey Bada$$ is every rap purist’s dream. Bada$$ has captured a flow that seems unique to the Big Apple and spits with a ferocity that has powered him to the upper echelon of rap talent among all active rappers. Many people felt that his breakout mixtape "1999" was a throwback to the early-mid 90s style of rap, which drew Joey Bada$$ comparisons to rap legends like Nas and The Notorious B.I.G. Anyone who enjoys the sound of Golden Age hip-hop or simply enjoys jaw-dropping lyricism should give Joey Bada$$ a shot. In addition to "1999,"his debut album "B4 DA $$" (or "Before The Money") is well worth a listen.

4. Travis Scott

Travis $cott combines the new-age electronic, dark sound of the trap scene with the producing and songwriting abilities that have powered the sound of artists like Jay Z and Rihanna. Scott has come onto the scene with endorsements from rap icons Kanye West and T.I., and has been producing tracks for artists far above his pay grade. He approaches rapping from a dark, almost metal point of view, finding melody in the depths of his Atlanta-based trap sound. Staying true to his trap origins and continuing to collaborate with Atlanta artists like Young Thug and Quavo has helped create a legitimacy around the sound of new age hip-hop. Anyone interested should listen to his albums "Rodeo" and "Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight," as well as his mixtape "Days Before Rodeo."

5. Bryson Tiller

Bryson Tiller is your perennial lover-boy R&B crooner mixed with an electronic-based style of hip-hop beat-making. His style mixes a classic soul voice while perfectly riding the wave of new-wave trap scene. His incredibly popular debut and only album is called "Trapsoul," and it is a truly unique piece of music. I would recommend that anyone who is a fan of R. Kelly or Ne-yo’s music should check out Bryson Tiller’s music.

6. Vince Staples

Vince Staples may be the most overlooked rapper today; he is a razor-sharp wordsmith and a visionary artist. With production from No-ID, the producer who mentored artists like Kanye West and J. Cole, Staples’ most recent projects "Summertime '06" and "Prima Donna" have taken advantage of Vince Staple’s dark, witty flows and turned heads in the music industry. Vince Staples has gained critical acclaim within the rap community. His song "Norf Norf" recently gained notoriety due to a viral video of a mother breaking down into tears as she reads the lyrics to it, lamenting the fact that this song was played on her local radio station when her young daughter was in the car. Staples’ unexpectedly serious response may make you realize he is much more than an ignorant gangster rapper.

7. Vic Mensa

Vic Mensa is an angry, young MC coming out of Chicago’s southside, a protégé of Kanye West and Roc Nations’ (Jay-Z’s label) newest signee. Mensa spits with tenacity and has shown the ability to rap on any beat, from dubstep-infused collaborations with Skrillex to the rock band – formatted Kids These Days. I would strongly recommend his EP, entitled "There's A Lot Going On." It delves into both the personal and the political as Vic seethes with anger at the recent events black people have had to endure.