Awesome Female Scary Movie And TV Characters

A List of Awesomely Wicked Female Scary Movie and TV Show Characters

952

Every Halloween I watch horror movies. They are not always “super scary,” some are psychological thrillers, or scary movies from my childhood that bring on all the horror nostalgia. What I love most about scary movies and horror themed TV shows would have to be the strong female heroines and villains. Women who could defeat the evil villain, or female villains that surpass their male counterparts have always fascinated me. So here is a list of awesome scary female movie and TV characters.

1. Sydney Prescott from the "Scream" Series

Screw the new "Scream" TV show. "Scream" is a horror movie/satire on horror movies. Sydney is the strong female heroine that took on the masked villain in four movies. She’s not just your average girl next door. She defeats the bad guy in four different movies, never giving up.

2. The Sanderson Sisters from "Hocus Pocus"

Now, even though it’s a kid’s movie, "Hocus Pocus" is one of my top favorite scary movies. I was terrified of the movie when I first saw it as a child and yet, I loved it. The three sister witches are evil, sassy and charming.

3. Ripley from "Alien"

"Alien" is one of the best sci-fi horror movies to date and Ripley is one strong female heroine. She’s not arm candy, or a damsel in distress. She is a hero in all senses.

4. Jessica Lange in "American Horror Story"

The queen of "American Horror Story. She could play any female villain or heroine on the show and always earn that Emmy. Sadly she’s not on the show anymore, but whether she’s Elsa Mars, Fiona Goode, Sister Jude Martin or Constance Langdon, Lange is one of the best actresses there is.

5. Regan MacNeil and Chris MacNeil from "The Exorcist"

"The Exorcist" has one of the scariest character’s I’ve ever seen. Talk about a horrific role, Regan is possessed by a demon and her mother has to save her. Sadly, the character is possessed but still, the scene with the cross will give me chills to my dying day. Though there have been advances in special effects over the years, this is still one of the most frightening portrayals I’ll ever witness. Her mother, on the other hand, is a strong female character who will do anything to protect and save her child.

6. Carrie White from "Carrie"

In the movie "Carrie," Sissy Spacek plays a bullied youth who has special powers. Yet, she doesn’t use her powers for good and at the end I’m left not feeling any pity or sadness for those who suffered her wrath at the prom.

7. Brigitte from "Ginger Snaps"

This may be a B movie, but it’s definitely one of my favorite horror films. While Ginger is dealing with becoming a werewolf, her sister is dealing with trying to cure her of her werewolf-ness. She doesn’t let anyone get her down just because she’s an outcast. While most people view Ginger as the protagonist, to me she's more of the damsel in distress/villain. Meanwhile, Brigitte is a tough cookie, and shows her tough exterior in the sequel too!

8. Nancy Thompson from "A Nightmare on Elm Street"

She doesn’t give up even when all those around her are dying. She’s dealing with a guy that kills people in their dreams. It’s a terrifying thought and left me with nightmares for days when I was a kid. This movie is definitely amazing and she’s one strong female heroine.

9. The Chanels from "Scream Queens"

"Scream Queens" has to be one of my current favorite TV shows. The characters are fresh and funny. They’re great at screaming too. Yet, even though they play victims, these girls are strong willed and inspiring. From Sorority Row to The Cure Institute these women are awesome. Ryan Murphy really made a great horror comedy and these girls are great anti-heroes.

10. Wednesday and Mortia Addams from "The Addams Family"

What’s not to love about Wednesday Addams? She’s intelligent, independent and pale as a ghost. Her mother Mortia is pretty awesome too. She’s a strong woman in a loving marriage; yet, it doesn’t define her. These Addam’s women are definitely strong horror queens.

11. Jamie Lee Curtis in "Halloween"

She's the daughter of Janet Lee from "Psycho." She's played as Laurie Strode in "Halloween" and Dean Munch on the hit show "Scream Queens." She is the queen of scream queens. She started out by playing Laurie Strode in the original "Halloween" movie. Years later she’s playing Dean Munch, a strong and sophisticated character on "Scream Queens" who rules with an iron fist. Even after all these years, Jamie Lee Curtis is still the greatest scream queen there is.

Though some may be from children’s movies, TV shows or indie movies, these characters are all strong, empowering and awesomely wicked. Happy Halloween!