11 Things Not To Do On A First Date

11 Things You Should NEVER Do On A First Date Unless You Want It To Be A Disaster

You got this.

119

First dates are full of a thousand different emotions. Fear, anxiety, curiosity, excitement, interest, and the list goes on and on from there. With nerves being at their peak during this first exchange with a person of interest, some mishaps and bumps in the road could occur. These mistakes and extremely awkward moments will be funny to you years from now, but will always seem life-ending in the moment. So whether you are reading this in hopes of not messing up your first date or you are just wanting a good laugh, sit back, relax, and enjoy. Here are 11 things you should definitely NOT do on a first date:

1. Talk about exes.

Rebloggy

Talking about your exes on the first date with a new potential partner is probably the biggest mistake you could make. No one wants to hear stories of the past that just bring up bad memories or make the other person start comparing. Just keep the conversation personal and light-hearted.

2. Show up with hickeys.

via GIPHY

When your date shows up with hickeys on their neck and then proceeds to discuss how they got said hickeys, you've officially reached the highest level of awkward. Don't be that person.

3. Arrive super late.

via GIPHY

There is nothing worse than being so nervous for your date that you show up twenty minutes early, but when you or your date show up twenty minutes late... well, things are going to start off on the wrong foot.

4. Fish for compliments.

via GIPHY

Be confident about yourself on your date! Don't ask for reassurance, especially if your date hasn't told you that you look nice that evening. If they can't see how great you look, that is their loss.

5. Talk about politics.

via GIPHY

I'm not saying whether or not you should date someone that has opposing political views as you because that is completely up to you. But the first date is not the place to have a debate on climate change and LGBTQIA+ rights.

6. Stray toward talking about the future.

via GIPHY

Get to know each other first. No one needs to start thinking about how many kids they want or what age they want to get married over coffee.

7. Be afraid to ask questions.

via GIPHY

You're on a first date, you are supposed to be getting to know one another. Talking too much is not nearly as bad as sitting in awkward silence at the end of every statement.

8. Ask your date to compare you to others.

via GIPHY

The chances that your date, or even yourself, is talking to other individuals is pretty high. So don't be the one that asks your date to compare you to their last date. Trust me, it is not a fun time for anyone.

9. Ask "How do you think this is going so far?"

via GIPHY

This question being brought up in the middle of the date is not only awkward, but could lead to an answer you might not want to hear.

10. Check the time repeatedly.

via GIPHY

Even if you have other arrangements such as work, errands, or even another date, checking the time multiple times makes you look bored and ready to leave.

11. Check out other people

via GIPHY

I don't care if you are not interested in a second date or if your date went to the bathroom, if you are obviously checking out the people around you, reconsider your priorities.

There are a lot of ups and downs when going on your first date. Some can be funny and some can be anger-provoking. However, you read these tips on what not to do on first dates, so just remember: you're going on a date with someone who is interested in you. Be polite, be considerate, relax, and have fun.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.