The Versatility Of An Avocado
food

The Versatility Of An Avocado

Conventional produce with outrageous potential.

61
The Versatility Of An Avocado

Ah, the avocado. The deliciously mushy green fruit with incredible health benefits and countless interchangeable uses. Oh and we certainly cannot disregard the fact that it tastes good with/ on literally everything... or that I eat at least eight of them a week. I seriously do though, anyone else? If you've hopped on to the full swing avocado trend as I have, you've probably noticed how wildly versatile this magical fruit really is. From face masks to flavor boosts, the avocado can really do it all. My hero.

Skin and Hair CareUnsplash

Do not panic, unless of course, you've eaten the avocados that you were supposed to use for your face mask mixture. In that case, head over to the grocery store because you'll need a few avocados to throw into these skin and hair masks. If you have never put avocado mush on your skin or in your hair, you might be fearful of the idea. But the avocado is our friend, especially close with our skin and hair. The reasoning behind this is that avocados are brimming with vitamins, fatty acids, and antioxidants. Avocados are sure to bring heaps of moisture and wrinkle reducing benefits to your skin. And for your hair, you can expect a wonderful dry hair/ scalp treatment, as well as potential hair growth! Using these masks once a week will greatly improve your skin and hair health.

Face mask:

• 1/2 of an avocado
    • 1 tbsp of honey
    • 1 tbsp of plain greek yogurt
    • Mash and mix ingredients into a bowl until combined. Tie hair back and apply mask mixture onto pre-washed/ exfoliated face. Leave mask on for a maximum of 20 minutes. Wash off with cool water and notice the silky smooth effects that the avocado and honey leave on your skin! The yogurt will tighten pores too.

Hair mask:

• 1/2 or full avocado (depending on hair length)
  • Equal amount of coconut oil to avocado
  • Once the ingredients have been mixed and combined, apply to dry or damp hair pre-shower. Massage into scalp and hair for three minutes making sure all hair is coated. Next, tie hair up into a bun or braid. Allow the mask to soak into the scalp and hair. Wait at least 30 minutes before rinsing out the mask, followed by a normal hair washing routine. Notice a smooth and silky shine from the natural vitamins and fats of the avocado!

FoodUnsplash

Now, let's eat it! This trendy fruit can do much more than simply bask mashed upon a piece of toast. There I said it, avocado toast is not the only dish that brings out the true beauty of an avocado, people! Let us further explore the fanciful feats of this remarkable fruit.

Avocado's in smoothies- No, this is not just a blended up avocado, that's guacamole everyone. (No hate towards guac). If your homemade smoothies taste like melty, fruit-flavored ice slush, avocados can help. Like I said, they are my hero. I am convinced that adding at least 1/2 of an avocado to any smoothie is the key in creating that delightfully thick and creamy smoothie texture. For a thicker smoothie, add half of a frozen banana along with the avocado. You'll end up with a beautiful Wendy's Frosty texture. For a thinner smoothie, stick to just the avocado, or add extra liquid.

Avocado's on rice cakes- The gluten-free version of avocado toast, and my go-to snack or lunch addition. I promise it is not as boring as it sounds. With some help from eggs, veggies, cheese, or spices, this snack will become your all-time favorite. It is incredibly healthy, too! To keep it basic, generously sprinkle some, "Everything But The Bagel" seasoning from Trader Joe's, onto the avo rice cake and enjoy. Another way I like to eat my avocado rice cakes is by adding an over medium egg on top, along with some red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. To step it up, even more, I'll add sliced tomatoes, mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar to my base. Impress your gluten-free friends, and your not gluten-free friends; make them your favorite version of the avocado rice cake!

Avocado Puddingeverdayeasyeats

Avocado's in baking/ cooking- This might be my favorite incorporation of the avocado. If you love pudding, and at this point, I would assume you love avocados, then you must try this luscious avocado pudding. It only takes about 5 minutes to make and one serving is a mere 330 calories! Here's what you'll need...
  • 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • Combine all of the ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth!