Your Average College Christmas List

Your Average College Christmas List

We're sleepy and easy to please.

61
Your Average College Christmas List

I've heard before that the older you get the more the things you want for Christmas shift from impractical material things, like toys, the newest makeup palette, a designer purse, or the newest iPhone to things like socks, rent money, hard drives, or groceries. Now that I'm getting older and somewhat wiser, I see that it's completely true. We ask for things we need, not necessarily things we want.

When my parents asked for my Christmas list this year, I had to put off giving it to them because I hadn't even had time to think about it and because I honestly had no clue what to put on it. Some of the first things that came to mind were an external hard drive to free up space on my computer, a month's rent, and a pound of one of my favorite coffee blends. From talking to my friends, I've gathered their lists would look a lot like mine. Said lists are bound to include the following:

1. Rent and Utility Money

As I was making my list, I had to stop myself from writing this same thing. All students know there isn't enough time to go around to make enough to comfortably pay all your bills, have some semblance of a life, and still afford to eat, and make good grades while not be a sleep- deprived zombie. This may be seen on some lists as simply, "pay a bill, please."

2. Socks

They're tricky little things; you do laundry and magically lose half of your supply. I always seem to have just enough pairs of socks to make it through a week before laundry day comes back around.The reality of the matter is: you can never have too many pairs of socks. Especially warm, fuzzy ones.

3. Food and Coffee Gift Cards

Because we never have money for groceries nor the time to get them and then cook them. Also because most college students consist of 90% coffee at any given moment. Giving a student a gift card to Cane's, Starbuck's, or one of their favorite local spots, you will probably more than make their Christmas; it's like giving them a gift that says you care about their survival.

4. A Day Off

Yes, we just finished finals and don't have classes to attend or assignments looming overhead and we would like a day or two to do absolutely nothing. There's no rest for the weary, especially when you go from full-time student to full-time employee to save for the next semester. It's a different story if you're in the band, on a dance or athletic team; if you have to participate in a bowl game, part of your vacation gets taken away. So, yes, all we ask is for one day off to just veg out.

5. A Week of Hibernation

This is to make up for the week of no sleep that is finals week. You have to get your beauty rest so you don't look or act like the Grinch during the happiest time of the year. Trust us, you'll thank us later.

6. Tuition and Textbook Money

Every little bit helps. Plus, you can never start saving too soon for those books that might as well cost you your entire life's savings. On that note, let's not even talk about tuition. But winning lottery tickets are a good option. Every college student would love to win the lottery for Christmas. It may even make your study abroad dreams come true.

7. A Home Cooked Meal

Cafeteria food and ramen noodles ain't got nothing on this. A fresh, homemade meal, prepared with lots of love that fill the house with delicious smells is just about all a college kid wants for the holiday. We'll probably get seconds and then hoard the leftovers, too.